Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Vomiting, quiet cat.

Species: Cat
Breed: American Longhair
Age: 5-8 years
My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear liquid over night on Sunday and on Monday morning - 3-4 times. I took her to the vet yesterday and they ran blood work (kidney failure, etc) and then x-ray for foreign body, etc and both came back fine. Temperature was fine. They kept her for 6 hours, gave her fluids and anti-vomiting drugs and I took her home that night. She hasn't vomited since Monday afternoon (once at the vet - clear liquid). I took her back this morning to the vet for a check up and she was fine on exam and they gave her subcutaneous fluids again. I brought her home she's been resting today - urinated once but isn't interested in food. She's more tired than usual but not totally lethargic. She's a very sensitive cat so the experience of going to the vet could've been rather traumatic for her. The vet is making me very worried and wants her to be hospitalized for days (even though we don't have a diagnosis) and I simply can't afford it. The tests yesterday alone cost $1000. Do you think this is a life threatening event or should I ride it out for a few more days and see how she is? Any insight would be extremely helpful.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi Blythe. I'm sorry to hear that you and Beanie are going through this. Unfortunately I have had several cases like this where we can't pin down a diagnosis.

If a cat doesn't want to eat then there is almost always a medical problem. Some cats with these symptoms can have pancreatitis even if the bloodwork is normal.

Unfortunately I would agree with your vet that hospitalization with iv fluids would be the best idea. if a cat goes without eating for a few days they are at risk for a serious condition called fatty liver. Quite often a day or two of fluids solve the problem.

I hope Beanie does ok!

Dr. Marie



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you for your quick response! If I bought Beanie in each morning for a dose of subcutaneous fluids for the next couple days, would that also work or does she absolutely need an IV?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! Unfortunately SQ fluids are nowhere near as effective as IV fluids. SQ fluids are better than none, but if you can swing it all the IV fluids will be much better.



Customer reply:

Hello again. I am so worried about Beanie. I have no way to get her to a vet tonight - only first thing tomorrow morning. She had IV fluids most of the day yesterday at the vet, the SQ fluids this morning. In theory, will she survive the night until I can get her to the vet tomorrow morning?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This is a hard one for me to answer without seeing Beanie, but most likely from what you have described, she should be ok to wait through the night. The IV fluids she had combined with the SQ should really help.

My biggest concern with her is her lack of appetite and I understand how frustrating this can be to deal with given that we don't know what is going on with her.

If you do want to help with her hydration tonight you can try syringing (or using a turkey baster) some unsweetened pedialyte into her or even plain water. However, if she is vomiting this then I would not push it on her.

But, if she seems relatively comfortable then it may be best to simply keep her quiet until you can see the vet in the morning.

I hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (6720 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (13320 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (53089 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (14808 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (7853 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (9736 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13036 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (8964 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (10336 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (11485 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.