Vomiting, quiet cat.

Breed: American Longhair
My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear liquid over night on Sunday and on Monday morning - 3-4 times. I took her to the vet yesterday and they ran blood work (kidney failure, etc) and then x-ray for foreign body, etc and both came back fine. Temperature was fine. They kept her for 6 hours, gave her fluids and anti-vomiting drugs and I took her home that night. She hasn't vomited since Monday afternoon (once at the vet - clear liquid). I took her back this morning to the vet for a check up and she was fine on exam and they gave her subcutaneous fluids again. I brought her home she's been resting today - urinated once but isn't interested in food. She's more tired than usual but not totally lethargic. She's a very sensitive cat so the experience of going to the vet could've been rather traumatic for her. The vet is making me very worried and wants her to be hospitalized for days (even though we don't have a diagnosis) and I simply can't afford it. The tests yesterday alone cost $1000. Do you think this is a life threatening event or should I ride it out for a few more days and see how she is? Any insight would be extremely helpful.

Hi Blythe. I'm sorry to hear that you and Beanie are going through this. Unfortunately I have had several cases like this where we can't pin down a diagnosis.

If a cat doesn't want to eat then there is almost always a medical problem. Some cats with these symptoms can have pancreatitis even if the bloodwork is normal.

Unfortunately I would agree with your vet that hospitalization with iv fluids would be the best idea. if a cat goes without eating for a few days they are at risk for a serious condition called fatty liver. Quite often a day or two of fluids solve the problem.

I hope Beanie does ok!

Thank you for your quick response! If I bought Beanie in each morning for a dose of subcutaneous fluids for the next couple days, would that also work or does she absolutely need an IV?

You're very welcome! Unfortunately SQ fluids are nowhere near as effective as IV fluids. SQ fluids are better than none, but if you can swing it all the IV fluids will be much better.

Hello again. I am so worried about Beanie. I have no way to get her to a vet tonight - only first thing tomorrow morning. She had IV fluids most of the day yesterday at the vet, the SQ fluids this morning. In theory, will she survive the night until I can get her to the vet tomorrow morning?

This is a hard one for me to answer without seeing Beanie, but most likely from what you have described, she should be ok to wait through the night. The IV fluids she had combined with the SQ should really help.

My biggest concern with her is her lack of appetite and I understand how frustrating this can be to deal with given that we don't know what is going on with her.

If you do want to help with her hydration tonight you can try syringing (or using a turkey baster) some unsweetened pedialyte into her or even plain water. However, if she is vomiting this then I would not push it on her.

But, if she seems relatively comfortable then it may be best to simply keep her quiet until you can see the vet in the morning.

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6379 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11545 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (22610 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7441 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5161 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (16273 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6130 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (7963 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9676 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7561 views)