Kidney disease and seizures.

Breed: Himalayan/Persion
My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple questions and can pay extra if necessary. The most important is that she had a seizure this morning. It is the second seizure that she has had in the past three months that I am aware of. Is there cause for concern or anything that I can do. She is eating well and going to the bathroom regularly with maybe a few extra urinations. Another concern is that she would have a seizure while she is up on her stoop and could fall and hurt herself. The stoop is very important because it enables her to look out the window and get sun.

Also, I had to have her shaved (for matting and vomiting from all the cleaning) a few months ago and they used gas to put her to sleep. Her equilibrium was off and she was very weak following the procudure. It has taken her a couple of months to get her full strength back. The vet said that she should have been fine the next day and the gas had nothing to do with it. Do you agree?

Also, she is terrified of the vet and I would prefer not to take her there unless absolutely necessary. Does she still need to get rabies and distemperment shots (she does not go outside, unless on my lap, and does not have any contact with other animals.

Hi David and thanks so much for your question.

I just wanted to let you know I am heading into an appointment right now but when I am finished I will give you a good thorough answer! Hopefully it won't be too long!

Hi again David - so sorry for the delay. We had a number of emergency cases in today and I have been very busy!

I'm sorry to hear that Allie had a seizure - they can be scary to see. Often with cats we don't know the cause of a seizure. I do get concerned when an older cat starts to have seizures as it can be an indication of a problem such as a tumor in the brain. Unfortunately diagnosing this is difficult without doing an expensive MRI.

Generally if a cat has had a couple of seizures in 3 months I do not do too much in the way of treatment. If the seizures are getting very frequent (i.e. several per week) your vet can prescribe anti-seizure medicine. However, these can have some side effects.

If she were my cat I would still allow her access to her stoop as this is one of her great joys in life. Perhaps you could put some soft pillows underneath in case she were to fall?

I have had some cats that have taken longer than usual to recover from an anesthetic. It may be possibly because of her kidney disease. However, if she just had a gas anesthetic and no injectible drugs at all then this really shouldn't be processed through the kidneys too much. I don't think I have an answer for you on why this happened.

However, I do think that the next time you are in the vet's office it would be good to have a general blood screen done just to see how Allie's kidney enzymes are doing and if there is something else going on.

As far as the rabies and distemper vaccines go, this is something you should discuss with your vet as every area is different. In my area, if a cat has been regularly vaccinated, I may stop vaccinating as they get older. However, in an older cat I still do recommend an exam every 6-12 months.

I hope this information helps!

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10795 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5499 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (56677 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (5870 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7782 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (4751 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (11268 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (9863 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8121 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (38096 views)