Allergic to grass?

Breed: Dacshund
My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and scratching it a lot and causing it to become red and inflamed. Ruled out a food allergy. Moved him to my girlfriends apartment for a week and it got better. Came back home and it started up again after being outside. Could he have an allergy to grass?

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Hobbs, but I can give you my thoughts.

The vast majority of the time when a dog has red lesions on his belly it is because of a skin infection.

While it's possible that an allergy could have started off the irritation, if there are actual lesions (red spots, welts, etc.) then it is likely a bacterial skin infection.

Unfortunately when there is a skin infection present the only thing that will treat it is a course of antibiotics from the vet. I will usually prescribe at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. If it has been there for a while then some dogs need 4-8 weeks of medication.

Many dogs can be allergic to grass. However, we usually see mostly itchiness on their feet and ears.

Has Hobbs seen a doctor yet? If not, then it's definitely a good idea!

I'm heading offline in the next few minutes, so if you have more concerns, if I miss you I will check in in the morning.

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (17782 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10683 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (43917 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (8167 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75576 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (22184 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8704 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7342 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7071 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8514 views)