Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Golden retriever with lymphoma died.

Species: Dog
Breed: Gold Retriever
Age: 8-11 years
My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all of his 10 years-that is, until about one week ago when he was diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma; virtually overnight his lymph nodes went from being more or less unnoticeable to being the size of golf balls. I brought him to an animal oncologist who diagnosed him with stage 3 lymphoma (b-cell involvement); his blood was clear. We decided to forego chemotherapy, give him the prescribed 60 mg prednisone, and look into natural treatments. We were told that his stage we could expect him to live about 1-3 months on the prednisone. Unfortunately we did not have time to do any of the research we'd intended to do on natural treatments: after enjoying about 2 good days on prednisone (appetite returned, and was able to go for walks, and lymph nodes shrunk to normal size, and stayed so until to the end), his health rapidly declined. First his appetite went away; we resorted to feeding him from a dropper. Then his desire for water went away. He would sometimes drool. His legs became so weak that he could barely walk, and on his last day his hind legs seemed almost paralyzed (he had never had hip problems). His stomach became distended. On 1/2/2011 in the middle of the night my dear pet placed his head upon my knee, looked deeply into my eyes, vomited a large amount of blood, and passed away about 30 seconds later. He will be sorely missed. His vet and others I've spoken to seemed somewhat surprised that he went so soon and in such a manner. I have no doubt that the lymphoma diagnosis was correct but the time of his death (within a week of diagnosis) and the way he died does not match what I'd been told to expect, and what I've read online. Could it be that although he had lymphoma, he died of something else altogether? Is it paranoid on my part to speculate on possible poisoning. The day after his diagnosis, on his walk, he ate something he found outside. I barely got to see what it was but it looked like it could have been a chunk of dark bread. It made a crunching noise. Could this have been rat poison? I know his death was almost certainly cancer related but I can't get this out of my mind. Does his death sound like a lymphoma caused death. Thank you so much.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tucker passed away.

Lymphoma is so common in Golden Retrievers. With what you have described, I am quite certain that lymphoma was the cause of his death.

When I put a dog on prednisone for lymphoma I usually tell them they can expect about 2-3 weeks of improvement. I have had some dogs last 2-3 months, and I have had cases similar to yours where the cancer progresses so quickly that the prednisone does not buy us much time at all.

This is definitely not because of the bread that he ate on his walk.

There really is not much else that causes the lymph nodes to be swollen like this, especially in a Golden. It is possible that an infection can cause lymph node swelling but that is extremely uncommon in my experience.

It sounds like you did everything you could for dear Tucker. While there are some dogs that can benefit greatly from chemotherapy for lymphoma, if Tucker got this sick this fast the chemo would not have helped him.

I'm so sorry for your loss.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (11548 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14959 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10366 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7240 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (33562 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (12050 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15869 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (7229 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (34403 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6662 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.