Milky urine in guinea pig.

Breed: Guinea Pigs
One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is rich in timothy hay and they drink lots of water through out the day. I did notice also that Pinky's shedding a good bit, but not Nellie. Also I have been using cedar bedding and I was told that its not good for their respiratory system, is this true?

Thanks for your question.

It actually can be quite normal for a guinea pig to have milky urine. In some guinea pigs a white or a yellow color from time to time is nothing to worry about.

However, some guinea pigs can be prone to bladder stones and can get crystals in the urine. When this happens we can sometimes see a very thick urine that looks like white sludge. If you think this describes Pinky's urine then it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at him and assess his urine just to make sure there are no crystals or stones there.

I am definitely not a fan of cedar bedding for guinea pigs. Most cedar shavings emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons. The benefit to this is it helps to cut down on parasites like fleas. But, they can be known to cause cancer in animals. They can also cause respiratory problems. I would definitely switch!

Thank you so much for your help. Pinky or Nellie's urine (not sure which)is not thick at this time, just milky. I think I'll wait a day or two to see if it clears up or gets thicker before taking her to the vet, unless you feel otherwise. Thanks for the advice on the bedding, I will be switching. Do you have any recommendations? Its hard to decide which is best because they are in the same cage and they urinate a lot. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Jessica

That sounds like a great plan!

As far as bedding goes, I like carefresh, hay, or ecostraw (wheat bedding). Aspen bedding is another one that is wood (like cedar) but not aromatic like cedar.

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4594 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (8879 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8911 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13267 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (20537 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (11734 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (44839 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28244 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (20545 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (23201 views)