Milky urine in guinea pig.

Breed: Guinea Pigs
One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is rich in timothy hay and they drink lots of water through out the day. I did notice also that Pinky's shedding a good bit, but not Nellie. Also I have been using cedar bedding and I was told that its not good for their respiratory system, is this true?

Thanks for your question.

It actually can be quite normal for a guinea pig to have milky urine. In some guinea pigs a white or a yellow color from time to time is nothing to worry about.

However, some guinea pigs can be prone to bladder stones and can get crystals in the urine. When this happens we can sometimes see a very thick urine that looks like white sludge. If you think this describes Pinky's urine then it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at him and assess his urine just to make sure there are no crystals or stones there.

I am definitely not a fan of cedar bedding for guinea pigs. Most cedar shavings emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons. The benefit to this is it helps to cut down on parasites like fleas. But, they can be known to cause cancer in animals. They can also cause respiratory problems. I would definitely switch!

Thank you so much for your help. Pinky or Nellie's urine (not sure which)is not thick at this time, just milky. I think I'll wait a day or two to see if it clears up or gets thicker before taking her to the vet, unless you feel otherwise. Thanks for the advice on the bedding, I will be switching. Do you have any recommendations? Its hard to decide which is best because they are in the same cage and they urinate a lot. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Jessica

That sounds like a great plan!

As far as bedding goes, I like carefresh, hay, or ecostraw (wheat bedding). Aspen bedding is another one that is wood (like cedar) but not aromatic like cedar.

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17969 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30446 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4964 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6448 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (74145 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15161 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20676 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23826 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (219417 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8118 views)