Milky urine in guinea pig.

Breed: Guinea Pigs
One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is rich in timothy hay and they drink lots of water through out the day. I did notice also that Pinky's shedding a good bit, but not Nellie. Also I have been using cedar bedding and I was told that its not good for their respiratory system, is this true?

Thanks for your question.

It actually can be quite normal for a guinea pig to have milky urine. In some guinea pigs a white or a yellow color from time to time is nothing to worry about.

However, some guinea pigs can be prone to bladder stones and can get crystals in the urine. When this happens we can sometimes see a very thick urine that looks like white sludge. If you think this describes Pinky's urine then it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at him and assess his urine just to make sure there are no crystals or stones there.

I am definitely not a fan of cedar bedding for guinea pigs. Most cedar shavings emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons. The benefit to this is it helps to cut down on parasites like fleas. But, they can be known to cause cancer in animals. They can also cause respiratory problems. I would definitely switch!

Thank you so much for your help. Pinky or Nellie's urine (not sure which)is not thick at this time, just milky. I think I'll wait a day or two to see if it clears up or gets thicker before taking her to the vet, unless you feel otherwise. Thanks for the advice on the bedding, I will be switching. Do you have any recommendations? Its hard to decide which is best because they are in the same cage and they urinate a lot. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Jessica

That sounds like a great plan!

As far as bedding goes, I like carefresh, hay, or ecostraw (wheat bedding). Aspen bedding is another one that is wood (like cedar) but not aromatic like cedar.

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70367 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (80345 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7786 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (13886 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8878 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9146 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35420 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14353 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6836 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16062 views)