Milky urine in guinea pig.

Breed: Guinea Pigs
One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is rich in timothy hay and they drink lots of water through out the day. I did notice also that Pinky's shedding a good bit, but not Nellie. Also I have been using cedar bedding and I was told that its not good for their respiratory system, is this true?

Thanks for your question.

It actually can be quite normal for a guinea pig to have milky urine. In some guinea pigs a white or a yellow color from time to time is nothing to worry about.

However, some guinea pigs can be prone to bladder stones and can get crystals in the urine. When this happens we can sometimes see a very thick urine that looks like white sludge. If you think this describes Pinky's urine then it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at him and assess his urine just to make sure there are no crystals or stones there.

I am definitely not a fan of cedar bedding for guinea pigs. Most cedar shavings emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons. The benefit to this is it helps to cut down on parasites like fleas. But, they can be known to cause cancer in animals. They can also cause respiratory problems. I would definitely switch!

Thank you so much for your help. Pinky or Nellie's urine (not sure which)is not thick at this time, just milky. I think I'll wait a day or two to see if it clears up or gets thicker before taking her to the vet, unless you feel otherwise. Thanks for the advice on the bedding, I will be switching. Do you have any recommendations? Its hard to decide which is best because they are in the same cage and they urinate a lot. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Jessica

That sounds like a great plan!

As far as bedding goes, I like carefresh, hay, or ecostraw (wheat bedding). Aspen bedding is another one that is wood (like cedar) but not aromatic like cedar.

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9328 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (32963 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10806 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19086 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6599 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11211 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5451 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (129455 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10564 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10489 views)