Milky urine in guinea pig.

Breed: Guinea Pigs
One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is rich in timothy hay and they drink lots of water through out the day. I did notice also that Pinky's shedding a good bit, but not Nellie. Also I have been using cedar bedding and I was told that its not good for their respiratory system, is this true?

Thanks for your question.

It actually can be quite normal for a guinea pig to have milky urine. In some guinea pigs a white or a yellow color from time to time is nothing to worry about.

However, some guinea pigs can be prone to bladder stones and can get crystals in the urine. When this happens we can sometimes see a very thick urine that looks like white sludge. If you think this describes Pinky's urine then it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at him and assess his urine just to make sure there are no crystals or stones there.

I am definitely not a fan of cedar bedding for guinea pigs. Most cedar shavings emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons. The benefit to this is it helps to cut down on parasites like fleas. But, they can be known to cause cancer in animals. They can also cause respiratory problems. I would definitely switch!

Thank you so much for your help. Pinky or Nellie's urine (not sure which)is not thick at this time, just milky. I think I'll wait a day or two to see if it clears up or gets thicker before taking her to the vet, unless you feel otherwise. Thanks for the advice on the bedding, I will be switching. Do you have any recommendations? Its hard to decide which is best because they are in the same cage and they urinate a lot. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Jessica

That sounds like a great plan!

As far as bedding goes, I like carefresh, hay, or ecostraw (wheat bedding). Aspen bedding is another one that is wood (like cedar) but not aromatic like cedar.

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (10584 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (18021 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (12087 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (13066 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (89358 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (19838 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (11310 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (5765 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (11759 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (32025 views)