Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog inhaled bleach.

Species: Dog
Breed: chihuahua- and anoth
Age: 5-8 years
Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my mother was cleaning. Is there anything we can do to help him? We have no money to take him to the vet :'(
I don't know what to do... I'm heartbroken.

He wont eat or drink either...

Please help. He was exposed yesterday night and once my brother found out he took him outside for fresh air and washed him. But today all he is doing is laying down and shows difficulty in breathing.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Chiquito is having these problems.

It is not common for bleach to cause respiratory problems, but it is possible. Usually we will only see breathing issues if the bleach was mixed with ammonia.

The good news is that most of the time if bleach causes respiratory issues it is usually temporary. If there has been vomiting at all though then there is the possibility for aspiration which can be very serious and can cause pneumonia which would need veterinary treatment.

Is it possible that Chiquito has swallowed some of the bleach? It can cause some (usually mild) gastrointestinal upset. It can also cause some mild burning in the esophagus. This burning could be what is causing the breathing issues.

This is definitely a case where an emergency visit is a good idea. You may want to look into the following resources to see if you can get any help:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

If you can't see a vet, then you can give famotidine (which is pepcid that you can buy over the counter at the pharmacy). It usually comes in a 10mg size. If Chiquito is under 10 lbs then you can give 1/4 tablet. If he is 10-20 lbs you can give 1/2 tablet. You can do this every 12 hours. Famotidine is a medication that will help protect the stomach and heal any burns.

It may also help to offer canned food softened with some warm water which may make it easier to swallow.

I really hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

Dr. Marie



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Hello Marie,
chiquito did not ingest any clorox. he was just exposed to it I'm just not sure how long.He seems to be in some short of shock since he is not active and just lays down.....

will pepcid still help with his breathing?..


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm wondering if there is perhaps something else going on? Just being around Clorox should not cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Can you describe his breathing a little more for me? Here are some questions for you:

-Can you count his respiratory rate? I need to know how many breaths per minute he is taking.
-Does he seem to be taking small shallow breaths?
-Is he coughing?
-Do his gums look pink or white?
-Does he seem to have any problems with walking?

Thanks



Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I will be heading offline shortly and as you haven't replied to my questions yet I'll add a bit more information that may help.

If his gums look pale or white then it may be that he is in shock. This could be due to internal bleeding or another serious issue. Unfortunately if you think this is the case then he really does need to see a vet.

The reason I asked about having difficulties walking is that often little dogs will have problems with their back. Back pain can cause an increase in respiratory rate and lethargy as well. If it is back pain then appropriate medicines would need to be prescribed by your veterinarian.

The pepcid will not hurt regardless, but the more I read about little Chiquito the more I think a visit to the vet is really necessary. I really hope he is ok!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:



he's taking 47

-Does he seem to be taking small shallow breaths?
yes

-Is he coughing?
not at all

-Do his gums look pink or white?
pink

-Does he seem to have any problems with walking?
No he does not have problems walking he actually still wags his tail.

I took him out of his cage and he walked around and decided to walk around a little and then just looked for a spot to stand and stare at me.

I prepared soft food with water and gave him fresh water and he does not want neither.




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Ah, ok....you caught me just before I went offline.

It looks like this is not a back problem after all. The shallow breathing could be a primary respiratory problem, but could also be due to pain. 47 resps per minute is definitely higher than normal (usually 10-20 is normal).

I don't like the symptoms that you are describing. If it is at all possible I would suggest an emergency visit for him.

I wish I could give you more information on what you can do, but it sounds like he really needs a vet exam.

I really hope he is ok!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13716 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10296 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9132 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5278 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8054 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14683 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15941 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (113382 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12336 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4890 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.