Dog inhaled bleach.

Breed: chihuahua- and anoth
Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my mother was cleaning. Is there anything we can do to help him? We have no money to take him to the vet :'(
I don't know what to do... I'm heartbroken.

He wont eat or drink either...

Please help. He was exposed yesterday night and once my brother found out he took him outside for fresh air and washed him. But today all he is doing is laying down and shows difficulty in breathing.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Chiquito is having these problems.

It is not common for bleach to cause respiratory problems, but it is possible. Usually we will only see breathing issues if the bleach was mixed with ammonia.

The good news is that most of the time if bleach causes respiratory issues it is usually temporary. If there has been vomiting at all though then there is the possibility for aspiration which can be very serious and can cause pneumonia which would need veterinary treatment.

Is it possible that Chiquito has swallowed some of the bleach? It can cause some (usually mild) gastrointestinal upset. It can also cause some mild burning in the esophagus. This burning could be what is causing the breathing issues.

This is definitely a case where an emergency visit is a good idea. You may want to look into the following resources to see if you can get any help:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

If you can't see a vet, then you can give famotidine (which is pepcid that you can buy over the counter at the pharmacy). It usually comes in a 10mg size. If Chiquito is under 10 lbs then you can give 1/4 tablet. If he is 10-20 lbs you can give 1/2 tablet. You can do this every 12 hours. Famotidine is a medication that will help protect the stomach and heal any burns.

It may also help to offer canned food softened with some warm water which may make it easier to swallow.

I really hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

Hello Marie,
chiquito did not ingest any clorox. he was just exposed to it I'm just not sure how long.He seems to be in some short of shock since he is not active and just lays down.....

will pepcid still help with his breathing?..

I'm wondering if there is perhaps something else going on? Just being around Clorox should not cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Can you describe his breathing a little more for me? Here are some questions for you:

-Can you count his respiratory rate? I need to know how many breaths per minute he is taking.
-Does he seem to be taking small shallow breaths?
-Is he coughing?
-Do his gums look pink or white?
-Does he seem to have any problems with walking?

Thanks

I will be heading offline shortly and as you haven't replied to my questions yet I'll add a bit more information that may help.

If his gums look pale or white then it may be that he is in shock. This could be due to internal bleeding or another serious issue. Unfortunately if you think this is the case then he really does need to see a vet.

The reason I asked about having difficulties walking is that often little dogs will have problems with their back. Back pain can cause an increase in respiratory rate and lethargy as well. If it is back pain then appropriate medicines would need to be prescribed by your veterinarian.

The pepcid will not hurt regardless, but the more I read about little Chiquito the more I think a visit to the vet is really necessary. I really hope he is ok!

he's taking 47

yes

-Is he coughing?
not at all

-Do his gums look pink or white?
pink

No he does not have problems walking he actually still wags his tail.

I took him out of his cage and he walked around and decided to walk around a little and then just looked for a spot to stand and stare at me.

I prepared soft food with water and gave him fresh water and he does not want neither.

Ah, ok....you caught me just before I went offline.

It looks like this is not a back problem after all. The shallow breathing could be a primary respiratory problem, but could also be due to pain. 47 resps per minute is definitely higher than normal (usually 10-20 is normal).

I don't like the symptoms that you are describing. If it is at all possible I would suggest an emergency visit for him.

I wish I could give you more information on what you can do, but it sounds like he really needs a vet exam.

I really hope he is ok!

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15402 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4995 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (43482 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9501 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (51070 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (49207 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31338 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10211 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16312 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7306 views)