Dog inhaled bleach.

Breed: chihuahua- and anoth
Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my mother was cleaning. Is there anything we can do to help him? We have no money to take him to the vet :'(
I don't know what to do... I'm heartbroken.

He wont eat or drink either...

Please help. He was exposed yesterday night and once my brother found out he took him outside for fresh air and washed him. But today all he is doing is laying down and shows difficulty in breathing.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Chiquito is having these problems.

It is not common for bleach to cause respiratory problems, but it is possible. Usually we will only see breathing issues if the bleach was mixed with ammonia.

The good news is that most of the time if bleach causes respiratory issues it is usually temporary. If there has been vomiting at all though then there is the possibility for aspiration which can be very serious and can cause pneumonia which would need veterinary treatment.

Is it possible that Chiquito has swallowed some of the bleach? It can cause some (usually mild) gastrointestinal upset. It can also cause some mild burning in the esophagus. This burning could be what is causing the breathing issues.

This is definitely a case where an emergency visit is a good idea. You may want to look into the following resources to see if you can get any help:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/

If you can't see a vet, then you can give famotidine (which is pepcid that you can buy over the counter at the pharmacy). It usually comes in a 10mg size. If Chiquito is under 10 lbs then you can give 1/4 tablet. If he is 10-20 lbs you can give 1/2 tablet. You can do this every 12 hours. Famotidine is a medication that will help protect the stomach and heal any burns.

It may also help to offer canned food softened with some warm water which may make it easier to swallow.

I really hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

Hello Marie,
chiquito did not ingest any clorox. he was just exposed to it I'm just not sure how long.He seems to be in some short of shock since he is not active and just lays down.....

will pepcid still help with his breathing?..

I'm wondering if there is perhaps something else going on? Just being around Clorox should not cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Can you describe his breathing a little more for me? Here are some questions for you:

-Can you count his respiratory rate? I need to know how many breaths per minute he is taking.
-Does he seem to be taking small shallow breaths?
-Is he coughing?
-Do his gums look pink or white?
-Does he seem to have any problems with walking?

Thanks

I will be heading offline shortly and as you haven't replied to my questions yet I'll add a bit more information that may help.

If his gums look pale or white then it may be that he is in shock. This could be due to internal bleeding or another serious issue. Unfortunately if you think this is the case then he really does need to see a vet.

The reason I asked about having difficulties walking is that often little dogs will have problems with their back. Back pain can cause an increase in respiratory rate and lethargy as well. If it is back pain then appropriate medicines would need to be prescribed by your veterinarian.

The pepcid will not hurt regardless, but the more I read about little Chiquito the more I think a visit to the vet is really necessary. I really hope he is ok!

he's taking 47

yes

-Is he coughing?
not at all

-Do his gums look pink or white?
pink

No he does not have problems walking he actually still wags his tail.

I took him out of his cage and he walked around and decided to walk around a little and then just looked for a spot to stand and stare at me.

I prepared soft food with water and gave him fresh water and he does not want neither.

Ah, ok....you caught me just before I went offline.

It looks like this is not a back problem after all. The shallow breathing could be a primary respiratory problem, but could also be due to pain. 47 resps per minute is definitely higher than normal (usually 10-20 is normal).

I don't like the symptoms that you are describing. If it is at all possible I would suggest an emergency visit for him.

I wish I could give you more information on what you can do, but it sounds like he really needs a vet exam.

I really hope he is ok!

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8172 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (30395 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (8921 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (22716 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4297 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (43827 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (20829 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (122775 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5425 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26049 views)