Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16219 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7237 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5935 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11060 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6885 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (50033 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (16621 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (7358 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6052 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (106333 views)