Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28932 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29278 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10189 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9906 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (34867 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (17845 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10154 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (19275 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (67299 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (66546 views)