Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (7048 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (144689 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (11779 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (18458 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (7719 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6216 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (13969 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (68696 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (9588 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (9731 views)