Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (6185 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (8099 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (5967 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (21997 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (14837 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (182520 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (6335 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (5681 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (8309 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (20972 views)