Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (22023 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (33377 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8347 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (7180 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15256 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30480 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (29162 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (20069 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16768 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (26107 views)