Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (48936 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (12491 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8205 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19254 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8155 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14479 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7368 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7321 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20972 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6949 views)