Dog eats grass and vomits

Breed: German Spitz
Hi Marie!

My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids food at times.Is it normal?

What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice!

Regards!

Thanks for your question. Some dogs will eat grass if they are feeling nauseous. It seems that they know that grass may help them to vomit and they will likely feel better after they vomit.

However, some dogs just like to eat grass!

If this is something that Tommy has always done I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if this is a new behavior then there are a few possible reasons for him to have intermittent vomiting. It's often hard to determine what the cause is but here are some possibilities:

-Have you changed his food? He may have a food intolerance.
-Is he the type of dog that would eat a toy or foreign object? He may have something sitting in his stomach.
-Have you had him checked for parasites recently?
-Are you near the end of a large bag of food? Sometimes there can be mold on the food that turns it off.

There are also a number of medical conditions that cause intermittent vomiting. I have also found that some dogs need a small dose of famotidine (pepcid) each day to help with this kind of problem, so you can talk to your vet about that.

I hope this information helps!

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4421 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (11610 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (3890 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (18087 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8186 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (7649 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (21608 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (213396 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (7511 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (14521 views)