Dog has heart failure.

Breed: Cockapoo

I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3 heart murmur. He came in to the shelter with congestive heart failure. He has been on furosemide and enalapril since April, and I have his chest x-rays that I am sharing with my vet next week. I am told he is playful and energetic--have not met him bc he is several hundred miles away. Does heart failure get bette? Or only worse?

I can handle his medication, and x-rays 2-4 times a year, vitamins and food. But am trying to grasp the cost of this, as well as how long he might be around. Many have expressed concern and don't want me to adopt him.

I would like to give the dog a chance and a good life, even if it is short. However if it is going to be a downhill road and very very expensive I probably won't adopt him.

thank you for helping me weigh this decision.

Hi there. Thanks for considering adopting this little dog. This is going to be a hard decision for you.

Normally, I'm not too concerned about a Grade 3 murmur in a little dog. However, if this little guy has been in heart failure then this is not good news.

When I have a patient in heart failure, if I can get the dog stabilized and feeling well with medication then I usually see them live about an average of another year. I have seen dogs live longer, but the longest I can remember would be two years.

The main focus of treatment in a situation like this is controlling his symptoms. The most common symptom is coughing. So, the goal of the medication will be to do all we can to help him to not cough. This will likely mean diuretics like furosemide (lasix) and also medicines to strengthen the heart. The vet may want to periodically take xrays to see how much fluid is in the chest. Although, in my cases I won't usually take xrays unless the dog is doing unwell.

My biggest concern in dealing with a dog with serious heart disease is that at any time he may progress into respiratory distress. If the heart starts to fail it can be a very traumatic situation. Often it can happen at night time, so you may have to be prepared to visit an emergency clinic after hours.

I think adopting this little one is a good idea as long as you have reasonable expectations that he may only have a short life left. But, if we can make that time as happy as possible that would be a wonderful thing!

Thank you so much, that was a good reality check. The murmur didn't scare me so much as the heart failure. I don't think I can deal with that unfortunately, I live in a city and would be boarding him if we went on trips and it would not be fair to him to be alone if he was in distress.

I think what I am going to do is donate some money for his care, that way his foster mom can continue to care for him during his time, and maybe send him a holiday gift. So sad.

That is really nice of you to donate. I think that's a wonderful idea.

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (12232 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8985 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (22822 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5015 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33560 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (35710 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10578 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7480 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13625 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5671 views)