Is my cat pregnant?

Breed: Mix
How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if this is because she is pregnant.

Thanks for your question Susan.

If your cat is not spayed and she goes outside then there is a very good chance that she is pregnant. A cat's pregnancy usually lasts 63 days counted from the day of breeding. Near the last couple of weeks of pregnancy is when we notice the belly getting larger. We usually see something called pinking of the nipples as well. This causes a waxy discharge on the nipples. Sometimes, in the last week of pregnancy, if you squeeze a nipple you will get milk to come out.

We don't have a great pregnancy test for cats like we do with people. In the last 2 weeks of pregnancy a vet can take an xray to determine if there is pregnancy there. Often around 3-4 weeks into the pregnancy an experienced vet can feel a cat's abdomen and determine if there are kittens there.

There are other possible reasons for a cat to have a big belly. It can just be because she is overweight. It can also be a collection of fluid because of a disease such as liver disease, FIP (an incurable virus), heart disease or cancer.

There is no "morning after pill" for cats who are pregnant. Most vets though will be willing to spay a cat when she is pregnant. This will abort the kittens.

If she has kittens, most cats handle labor well. They don't usually need assistance. But, if your girl is having strong contractions for more than 60 minutes then she may need a vet's assistance and possibly a C-Section. This doesn't happen very often though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8944 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6657 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23781 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12474 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12044 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (10678 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (148941 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (25748 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37493 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15300 views)