Is my cat pregnant?

Breed: Mix
How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if this is because she is pregnant.

Thanks for your question Susan.

If your cat is not spayed and she goes outside then there is a very good chance that she is pregnant. A cat's pregnancy usually lasts 63 days counted from the day of breeding. Near the last couple of weeks of pregnancy is when we notice the belly getting larger. We usually see something called pinking of the nipples as well. This causes a waxy discharge on the nipples. Sometimes, in the last week of pregnancy, if you squeeze a nipple you will get milk to come out.

We don't have a great pregnancy test for cats like we do with people. In the last 2 weeks of pregnancy a vet can take an xray to determine if there is pregnancy there. Often around 3-4 weeks into the pregnancy an experienced vet can feel a cat's abdomen and determine if there are kittens there.

There are other possible reasons for a cat to have a big belly. It can just be because she is overweight. It can also be a collection of fluid because of a disease such as liver disease, FIP (an incurable virus), heart disease or cancer.

There is no "morning after pill" for cats who are pregnant. Most vets though will be willing to spay a cat when she is pregnant. This will abort the kittens.

If she has kittens, most cats handle labor well. They don't usually need assistance. But, if your girl is having strong contractions for more than 60 minutes then she may need a vet's assistance and possibly a C-Section. This doesn't happen very often though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (9860 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15101 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6165 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (7728 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (6661 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (41129 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (9674 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (7467 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12014 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11107 views)