Is my cat pregnant?

Breed: Mix
How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if this is because she is pregnant.

Thanks for your question Susan.

If your cat is not spayed and she goes outside then there is a very good chance that she is pregnant. A cat's pregnancy usually lasts 63 days counted from the day of breeding. Near the last couple of weeks of pregnancy is when we notice the belly getting larger. We usually see something called pinking of the nipples as well. This causes a waxy discharge on the nipples. Sometimes, in the last week of pregnancy, if you squeeze a nipple you will get milk to come out.

We don't have a great pregnancy test for cats like we do with people. In the last 2 weeks of pregnancy a vet can take an xray to determine if there is pregnancy there. Often around 3-4 weeks into the pregnancy an experienced vet can feel a cat's abdomen and determine if there are kittens there.

There are other possible reasons for a cat to have a big belly. It can just be because she is overweight. It can also be a collection of fluid because of a disease such as liver disease, FIP (an incurable virus), heart disease or cancer.

There is no "morning after pill" for cats who are pregnant. Most vets though will be willing to spay a cat when she is pregnant. This will abort the kittens.

If she has kittens, most cats handle labor well. They don't usually need assistance. But, if your girl is having strong contractions for more than 60 minutes then she may need a vet's assistance and possibly a C-Section. This doesn't happen very often though.

I hope everything goes ok!

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (11902 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (17185 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (33418 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23889 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (7732 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (13624 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (11814 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (30236 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (30437 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (10058 views)