Lump on ferret's face.

Breed: feret
My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now it is. It is purple, Nothing draining. Behaviour is normal and eating fine. Not scratching at it. The lump started about three months ago.

There are a few things that could cause a lump like this in a ferret.

The first possibility is something called a salivary mucocele. This type of problem is caused by swelling in one of the salivary glands. It is not usually purple, but if it has been there a while it could be infected and this could cause the purple color. A salivary mucocele is treatable, but usually needs a surgery that can be a little bit difficult to do.

The next possibility is that this is a tumor. There are a number of different types of tumors that can affect ferrets. Some are potentially treatable with surgery depending on how large and invasive the lump is.

Another possibility is an abscess, possibly even a tooth root abscess. If this is the case then having your vet do some dental work (likely removing the tooth) could possibly cure Lucy.

A cyst is possible, but should not be getting larger and turning purple, so this is unlikely.

It does sound like Lucy will need to see a vet. The vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate. This is where they put a tiny needle into the swelling and draw some cells out. They may need to look at this material under the microscope. This really should determine whether this is a mucocele, a tumor or an infection and should give us a good idea as to whether it can be treated.

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (20394 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (55427 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (15592 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9404 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8752 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6664 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (45174 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (37698 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11307 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (34440 views)