Lump on ferret's face.

Breed: feret
My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now it is. It is purple, Nothing draining. Behaviour is normal and eating fine. Not scratching at it. The lump started about three months ago.

There are a few things that could cause a lump like this in a ferret.

The first possibility is something called a salivary mucocele. This type of problem is caused by swelling in one of the salivary glands. It is not usually purple, but if it has been there a while it could be infected and this could cause the purple color. A salivary mucocele is treatable, but usually needs a surgery that can be a little bit difficult to do.

The next possibility is that this is a tumor. There are a number of different types of tumors that can affect ferrets. Some are potentially treatable with surgery depending on how large and invasive the lump is.

Another possibility is an abscess, possibly even a tooth root abscess. If this is the case then having your vet do some dental work (likely removing the tooth) could possibly cure Lucy.

A cyst is possible, but should not be getting larger and turning purple, so this is unlikely.

It does sound like Lucy will need to see a vet. The vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate. This is where they put a tiny needle into the swelling and draw some cells out. They may need to look at this material under the microscope. This really should determine whether this is a mucocele, a tumor or an infection and should give us a good idea as to whether it can be treated.

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (21482 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (9547 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (16335 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (5866 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10758 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8541 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38225 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9430 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (82220 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (6990 views)