Lump on ferret's face.

Breed: feret
My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now it is. It is purple, Nothing draining. Behaviour is normal and eating fine. Not scratching at it. The lump started about three months ago.

There are a few things that could cause a lump like this in a ferret.

The first possibility is something called a salivary mucocele. This type of problem is caused by swelling in one of the salivary glands. It is not usually purple, but if it has been there a while it could be infected and this could cause the purple color. A salivary mucocele is treatable, but usually needs a surgery that can be a little bit difficult to do.

The next possibility is that this is a tumor. There are a number of different types of tumors that can affect ferrets. Some are potentially treatable with surgery depending on how large and invasive the lump is.

Another possibility is an abscess, possibly even a tooth root abscess. If this is the case then having your vet do some dental work (likely removing the tooth) could possibly cure Lucy.

A cyst is possible, but should not be getting larger and turning purple, so this is unlikely.

It does sound like Lucy will need to see a vet. The vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate. This is where they put a tiny needle into the swelling and draw some cells out. They may need to look at this material under the microscope. This really should determine whether this is a mucocele, a tumor or an infection and should give us a good idea as to whether it can be treated.

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (5403 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (16156 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (8794 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (8237 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (14974 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (30279 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (22006 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (25644 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (41980 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (37089 views)