Lump on ferret's face.

Breed: feret
My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now it is. It is purple, Nothing draining. Behaviour is normal and eating fine. Not scratching at it. The lump started about three months ago.

There are a few things that could cause a lump like this in a ferret.

The first possibility is something called a salivary mucocele. This type of problem is caused by swelling in one of the salivary glands. It is not usually purple, but if it has been there a while it could be infected and this could cause the purple color. A salivary mucocele is treatable, but usually needs a surgery that can be a little bit difficult to do.

The next possibility is that this is a tumor. There are a number of different types of tumors that can affect ferrets. Some are potentially treatable with surgery depending on how large and invasive the lump is.

Another possibility is an abscess, possibly even a tooth root abscess. If this is the case then having your vet do some dental work (likely removing the tooth) could possibly cure Lucy.

A cyst is possible, but should not be getting larger and turning purple, so this is unlikely.

It does sound like Lucy will need to see a vet. The vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate. This is where they put a tiny needle into the swelling and draw some cells out. They may need to look at this material under the microscope. This really should determine whether this is a mucocele, a tumor or an infection and should give us a good idea as to whether it can be treated.

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6219 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13497 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7469 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8254 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9772 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (14514 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (33097 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (6803 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17180 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14548 views)