Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (8364 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (5398 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (9698 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (13279 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (8619 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (18867 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (18235 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (25162 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (6888 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (10800 views)