Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (3471 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (8104 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (3760 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (9812 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (6482 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6007 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (33717 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (15803 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (24266 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (19863 views)