Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8504 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11303 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (7969 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (13098 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (12571 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (13735 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12351 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (20787 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (23280 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4614 views)