Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (9986 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (6635 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (15325 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (8152 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (15913 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (32392 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (6420 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (7036 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (4864 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (46892 views)