Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15475 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6461 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7280 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54963 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18137 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30353 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21080 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (16939 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (19541 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15560 views)