Swollen ear flap.

Breed: pt bull
i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to know what i can give him to make it go away it looks like some kind of bite because on the ear flap its swollen and red and its not draining or anything and he stil has a good appitite his nose is cold and wet so he has no fever hes drinking lots of water he still is active hes not like laying around hes very responseive he act like nothing wrong but should i just let it take its course because im without any money at the moment so i cant take him to vet thats why im asking for for your advice of what could be wrong with his ear thank you
very much

While I can't say without seeing Shiloh, I am concerned that he may have something called an aural hematoma. This happens when blood fills up the space in between the cartilage and the skin on the ear flap.

An aural hematoma is very uncomfortable. There are two ways to treat it. One, is to have your vet do surgery to repair it. The second way which I am using more often is to have your vet prescribe steroid medication. This seems to work well to shrink the swelling and return the ear to normal.

If this is an aural hematoma and nothing is done, it will eventually heal but Shiloh will likely have a very scarred ear.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to the vet soon.

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6696 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (20299 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7314 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8660 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (14147 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (11285 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (7037 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10629 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10944 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15998 views)