Anxious lab.

Breed: chocolate lab/border
He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son all left the house about the same time we come home and my dog trashed the house cushions off the couch lamp knocked over another lamp with plants on it knocked over first time he ever did this now he is panting heavy and he doesnt want to leave our side he practically sits on our lap he tries to find the smallest corner to hide in I'd be on the computor and he is trying to get under the table or crawl under the end table or go behind the recliner this happens usually in the morning or evening he naps in the afternoon and he wants outside quite often I would bring him in 15 mins. he would want back out then he bark to get back in this has been going on for a few months but it is getting a lot worst he wasnt to bad over winter

Oh dear. It really sounds like Oddie is in distress.

If this was a young dog I'd be worried that he has separation anxiety. But, it would be a little bit strange for a dog to develop separation anxiety at 16 years old.

It does sound like he is anxious about something though. While I won't be able to tell you exactly why he is doing this, I can give you some of my thoughts.

It's possible that he has pain somewhere. An elderly lab is bound to have some arthritis pain. It's possible he is getting sudden bouts of spasms, perhaps back spasms, that are causing him distress. If this were my case I would likely try him on a prescription anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks to see if this reduced his symptoms.

It's also possible that this is some type of seizure activity. When dogs have seizures it is common for them to act very strange for hours before or after the seizure. Unfortunately, at his age, if this is due to seizures then the most common reason for seizures would be a brain tumor.

It could also be due to severe anxiety. If your vet is not able to find a cause for his problems then they may consider trying him on an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. It is unusual, though, to have anxiety this bad suddenly appear in an older dog.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. I would highly suggest having your vet do a good exam on him. Hopefully they can get you some answers!

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (16062 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10011 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7283 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (9770 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (16902 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5906 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13432 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (20028 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (21073 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8725 views)