Anxious lab.

Breed: chocolate lab/border
He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son all left the house about the same time we come home and my dog trashed the house cushions off the couch lamp knocked over another lamp with plants on it knocked over first time he ever did this now he is panting heavy and he doesnt want to leave our side he practically sits on our lap he tries to find the smallest corner to hide in I'd be on the computor and he is trying to get under the table or crawl under the end table or go behind the recliner this happens usually in the morning or evening he naps in the afternoon and he wants outside quite often I would bring him in 15 mins. he would want back out then he bark to get back in this has been going on for a few months but it is getting a lot worst he wasnt to bad over winter

Oh dear. It really sounds like Oddie is in distress.

If this was a young dog I'd be worried that he has separation anxiety. But, it would be a little bit strange for a dog to develop separation anxiety at 16 years old.

It does sound like he is anxious about something though. While I won't be able to tell you exactly why he is doing this, I can give you some of my thoughts.

It's possible that he has pain somewhere. An elderly lab is bound to have some arthritis pain. It's possible he is getting sudden bouts of spasms, perhaps back spasms, that are causing him distress. If this were my case I would likely try him on a prescription anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks to see if this reduced his symptoms.

It's also possible that this is some type of seizure activity. When dogs have seizures it is common for them to act very strange for hours before or after the seizure. Unfortunately, at his age, if this is due to seizures then the most common reason for seizures would be a brain tumor.

It could also be due to severe anxiety. If your vet is not able to find a cause for his problems then they may consider trying him on an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. It is unusual, though, to have anxiety this bad suddenly appear in an older dog.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. I would highly suggest having your vet do a good exam on him. Hopefully they can get you some answers!

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (9988 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (29977 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (21643 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8980 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (15193 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9300 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (20716 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16112 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7145 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (11962 views)