Anxious lab.

Breed: chocolate lab/border
He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son all left the house about the same time we come home and my dog trashed the house cushions off the couch lamp knocked over another lamp with plants on it knocked over first time he ever did this now he is panting heavy and he doesnt want to leave our side he practically sits on our lap he tries to find the smallest corner to hide in I'd be on the computor and he is trying to get under the table or crawl under the end table or go behind the recliner this happens usually in the morning or evening he naps in the afternoon and he wants outside quite often I would bring him in 15 mins. he would want back out then he bark to get back in this has been going on for a few months but it is getting a lot worst he wasnt to bad over winter

Oh dear. It really sounds like Oddie is in distress.

If this was a young dog I'd be worried that he has separation anxiety. But, it would be a little bit strange for a dog to develop separation anxiety at 16 years old.

It does sound like he is anxious about something though. While I won't be able to tell you exactly why he is doing this, I can give you some of my thoughts.

It's possible that he has pain somewhere. An elderly lab is bound to have some arthritis pain. It's possible he is getting sudden bouts of spasms, perhaps back spasms, that are causing him distress. If this were my case I would likely try him on a prescription anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks to see if this reduced his symptoms.

It's also possible that this is some type of seizure activity. When dogs have seizures it is common for them to act very strange for hours before or after the seizure. Unfortunately, at his age, if this is due to seizures then the most common reason for seizures would be a brain tumor.

It could also be due to severe anxiety. If your vet is not able to find a cause for his problems then they may consider trying him on an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. It is unusual, though, to have anxiety this bad suddenly appear in an older dog.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. I would highly suggest having your vet do a good exam on him. Hopefully they can get you some answers!

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13085 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12446 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (10133 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11789 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (30670 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6539 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26629 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4333 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7674 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (25941 views)