Anxious lab.

Breed: chocolate lab/border
He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son all left the house about the same time we come home and my dog trashed the house cushions off the couch lamp knocked over another lamp with plants on it knocked over first time he ever did this now he is panting heavy and he doesnt want to leave our side he practically sits on our lap he tries to find the smallest corner to hide in I'd be on the computor and he is trying to get under the table or crawl under the end table or go behind the recliner this happens usually in the morning or evening he naps in the afternoon and he wants outside quite often I would bring him in 15 mins. he would want back out then he bark to get back in this has been going on for a few months but it is getting a lot worst he wasnt to bad over winter

Oh dear. It really sounds like Oddie is in distress.

If this was a young dog I'd be worried that he has separation anxiety. But, it would be a little bit strange for a dog to develop separation anxiety at 16 years old.

It does sound like he is anxious about something though. While I won't be able to tell you exactly why he is doing this, I can give you some of my thoughts.

It's possible that he has pain somewhere. An elderly lab is bound to have some arthritis pain. It's possible he is getting sudden bouts of spasms, perhaps back spasms, that are causing him distress. If this were my case I would likely try him on a prescription anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks to see if this reduced his symptoms.

It's also possible that this is some type of seizure activity. When dogs have seizures it is common for them to act very strange for hours before or after the seizure. Unfortunately, at his age, if this is due to seizures then the most common reason for seizures would be a brain tumor.

It could also be due to severe anxiety. If your vet is not able to find a cause for his problems then they may consider trying him on an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. It is unusual, though, to have anxiety this bad suddenly appear in an older dog.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. I would highly suggest having your vet do a good exam on him. Hopefully they can get you some answers!

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (11320 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (42938 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9635 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (14467 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (17285 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (16315 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (26618 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (15454 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14068 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (13169 views)