Anxious lab.

Breed: chocolate lab/border
He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son all left the house about the same time we come home and my dog trashed the house cushions off the couch lamp knocked over another lamp with plants on it knocked over first time he ever did this now he is panting heavy and he doesnt want to leave our side he practically sits on our lap he tries to find the smallest corner to hide in I'd be on the computor and he is trying to get under the table or crawl under the end table or go behind the recliner this happens usually in the morning or evening he naps in the afternoon and he wants outside quite often I would bring him in 15 mins. he would want back out then he bark to get back in this has been going on for a few months but it is getting a lot worst he wasnt to bad over winter

Oh dear. It really sounds like Oddie is in distress.

If this was a young dog I'd be worried that he has separation anxiety. But, it would be a little bit strange for a dog to develop separation anxiety at 16 years old.

It does sound like he is anxious about something though. While I won't be able to tell you exactly why he is doing this, I can give you some of my thoughts.

It's possible that he has pain somewhere. An elderly lab is bound to have some arthritis pain. It's possible he is getting sudden bouts of spasms, perhaps back spasms, that are causing him distress. If this were my case I would likely try him on a prescription anti-inflammatory medication for a couple of weeks to see if this reduced his symptoms.

It's also possible that this is some type of seizure activity. When dogs have seizures it is common for them to act very strange for hours before or after the seizure. Unfortunately, at his age, if this is due to seizures then the most common reason for seizures would be a brain tumor.

It could also be due to severe anxiety. If your vet is not able to find a cause for his problems then they may consider trying him on an anti-anxiety medication such as Reconcile or Clomicalm. It is unusual, though, to have anxiety this bad suddenly appear in an older dog.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. I would highly suggest having your vet do a good exam on him. Hopefully they can get you some answers!

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5233 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (7279 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (8021 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8187 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8093 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (138438 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29564 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10027 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11910 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6417 views)