How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching?

Breed: shepherd husky mix
We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35 pounds. We have a lot of fleas in our area. We gave her k9 Advantix II about 10 days ago. She is still scratching a lot. How long after a flea treatment will a dog stop scratching?

We gave her a bath with Oster Oatmeal flea soap but this did not do much good. Can we give her another round of the Advantix II or do we have to wait 30 days? Any other suggestions?

Lauren

Hi and thanks for your question.

Advantix is a good product and you really should find that it does a good job to get rid of the fleas.

There's probably no advantage to putting another dose on now though. The scratching is likely because of the flea bites and not because of new live fleas on her.

Think of when you get a mosquito bite. You are still itchy for several days after the bite happens even though the mosquito is long gone.

It's possible though that the fleas have caused a secondary problem such as some allergy symptoms or infection. If you are seeing any crusty red areas then this can be a sign that there is skin infection there. If this is the case then Molly is going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Where is she the most itchy? If you find that she is itchy on her feet and ears then fleas may not be the only issue. This time of year a lot of dogs have seasonal allergies. I have found that in most cases seasonal allergies need to be treated with steroids such as prednisone.

I usually find that it takes about a week to 10 days for itchiness to stop after being treated for fleas. So, if Molly is still itchy after the weekend then I think that she should probably see the vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (10882 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (11484 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (81331 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (14784 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (9745 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (8991 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (10447 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (12154 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4191 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4261 views)