How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching?

Breed: shepherd husky mix
We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35 pounds. We have a lot of fleas in our area. We gave her k9 Advantix II about 10 days ago. She is still scratching a lot. How long after a flea treatment will a dog stop scratching?

We gave her a bath with Oster Oatmeal flea soap but this did not do much good. Can we give her another round of the Advantix II or do we have to wait 30 days? Any other suggestions?

Lauren

Hi and thanks for your question.

Advantix is a good product and you really should find that it does a good job to get rid of the fleas.

There's probably no advantage to putting another dose on now though. The scratching is likely because of the flea bites and not because of new live fleas on her.

Think of when you get a mosquito bite. You are still itchy for several days after the bite happens even though the mosquito is long gone.

It's possible though that the fleas have caused a secondary problem such as some allergy symptoms or infection. If you are seeing any crusty red areas then this can be a sign that there is skin infection there. If this is the case then Molly is going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Where is she the most itchy? If you find that she is itchy on her feet and ears then fleas may not be the only issue. This time of year a lot of dogs have seasonal allergies. I have found that in most cases seasonal allergies need to be treated with steroids such as prednisone.

I usually find that it takes about a week to 10 days for itchiness to stop after being treated for fleas. So, if Molly is still itchy after the weekend then I think that she should probably see the vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17402 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (7890 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (17008 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5946 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (91935 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6891 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (118903 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10221 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (58895 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8703 views)