How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching?

Breed: shepherd husky mix
We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35 pounds. We have a lot of fleas in our area. We gave her k9 Advantix II about 10 days ago. She is still scratching a lot. How long after a flea treatment will a dog stop scratching?

We gave her a bath with Oster Oatmeal flea soap but this did not do much good. Can we give her another round of the Advantix II or do we have to wait 30 days? Any other suggestions?

Lauren

Hi and thanks for your question.

Advantix is a good product and you really should find that it does a good job to get rid of the fleas.

There's probably no advantage to putting another dose on now though. The scratching is likely because of the flea bites and not because of new live fleas on her.

Think of when you get a mosquito bite. You are still itchy for several days after the bite happens even though the mosquito is long gone.

It's possible though that the fleas have caused a secondary problem such as some allergy symptoms or infection. If you are seeing any crusty red areas then this can be a sign that there is skin infection there. If this is the case then Molly is going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Where is she the most itchy? If you find that she is itchy on her feet and ears then fleas may not be the only issue. This time of year a lot of dogs have seasonal allergies. I have found that in most cases seasonal allergies need to be treated with steroids such as prednisone.

I usually find that it takes about a week to 10 days for itchiness to stop after being treated for fleas. So, if Molly is still itchy after the weekend then I think that she should probably see the vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7362 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9233 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10312 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (5688 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (4608 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (25929 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (22521 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (9864 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (18923 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (21579 views)