How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching?

Breed: shepherd husky mix
We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35 pounds. We have a lot of fleas in our area. We gave her k9 Advantix II about 10 days ago. She is still scratching a lot. How long after a flea treatment will a dog stop scratching?

We gave her a bath with Oster Oatmeal flea soap but this did not do much good. Can we give her another round of the Advantix II or do we have to wait 30 days? Any other suggestions?

Lauren

Hi and thanks for your question.

Advantix is a good product and you really should find that it does a good job to get rid of the fleas.

There's probably no advantage to putting another dose on now though. The scratching is likely because of the flea bites and not because of new live fleas on her.

Think of when you get a mosquito bite. You are still itchy for several days after the bite happens even though the mosquito is long gone.

It's possible though that the fleas have caused a secondary problem such as some allergy symptoms or infection. If you are seeing any crusty red areas then this can be a sign that there is skin infection there. If this is the case then Molly is going to need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Where is she the most itchy? If you find that she is itchy on her feet and ears then fleas may not be the only issue. This time of year a lot of dogs have seasonal allergies. I have found that in most cases seasonal allergies need to be treated with steroids such as prednisone.

I usually find that it takes about a week to 10 days for itchiness to stop after being treated for fleas. So, if Molly is still itchy after the weekend then I think that she should probably see the vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10676 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11100 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5188 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (9146 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (45883 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11177 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4393 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7202 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6005 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (23153 views)