Why is my hamster biting me?

Breed: Winter White
My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on the day I bought him, the first time I held him, he never bit me. Then I got a bunny and a double Decker rabbit hutch. I moved the hamster to his new home. I had the hamster on the top and the bunny on the bottom. I told the pet store person that he was biting me and he suggested moving the hamster because he was mad at me for getting a bunny. I recently did, and about 3 or 4 days ago, I tried picking him up out of his cage, and he bit me 3 times. Why is he still biting me ?

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem!

Some hamsters are really prone to biting. I have been bitten a few times by my hamster patients.

Most hamsters do not enjoy being handled. If your hamster used to allow you to pick him up and now he doesn't it may be that he has fear, and it is possible that that fear came from being so close to the bunny.

Here is what I suggest. Is there a treat that your hamster likes such as a piece of vegetable? Next time Ewok is in his wheel, hold out your hand next to the wheel and offer him a treat. Don't make any attempt to pick him up until you have done this for a few days in a row and he is coming willingly to you.

He needs to learn that he does not need to have fear.

I hope he does better soon!

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8845 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14486 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (30703 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29064 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22099 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (15179 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8063 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (8924 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17799 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9115 views)