Bleeding after biopsy.

Breed: Black Lab
My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we removed skin for the biopsy will not heal. What are my options to stop the bleeding? Thank You

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with hemangiosarcoma in your dog. I am assuming from what you have described that this is a skin tumor (as opposed to hemangiosarcoma on the spleen)?

I have a few questions for you before I can answer this question fully:

Where is the hole? (a leg, on the side of the chest, elsewhere?)

When was the biopsy done?

How much bleeding is there over the day? (i.e. a cup of blood, a few drops of blood)

Thanks...I am in between a busy day of appointments so I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can after you answer those questions for me.

Sorry for being so vague.

The hole is in his right Paw

The biopsy was performed about 35 days ago

There is steady drip from the wound or a spray if I squeeze it. The hole has reduced in size to a pin hole where as 25 days ago the spray was as thick as Q tip shaft. I suspect he is loosing a half a cup of blood a day judging by the amount in his dressing when I change them. He is still eating and drinking ok at this point.

I'm so sorry for the wait! I had a dog come in with a broken leg that put me behind on my appointments.

What a frustrating problem. It sounds like there is a small blood vessel that is constantly leaking. A hemangiosarcoma is usally a very vascular type of cancer which means that it bleeds very easily.

There are a few things that I would do if this was my case. First of all, I would likely be putting him on some oral antibiotics. If a wound (i.e. biopsy site) is not healing properly then it can sometimes mean that there is infection present.

Next, I may try using something called Gel-foam. This is a substance that you can "squish" into a wound to help promote clotting and stop bleeding. I would then bandage the foot again after this.

Unfortunately though these are not things that you can do at home...Rugar is going to need to see the doctor again to do this.

It is possible that Rugar may need to have another surgery. If there is a blood vessel that is bleeding then the vet may need to open up the area and suture that vessel. Really, if it is still bleeding after 35 days then I am worried that this may have to happen.

I really hope things are ok!

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (30437 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12719 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12362 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (6797 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (61281 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (65601 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (16767 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (14734 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (12721 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (15853 views)