Bleeding after biopsy.

Breed: Black Lab
My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we removed skin for the biopsy will not heal. What are my options to stop the bleeding? Thank You

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with hemangiosarcoma in your dog. I am assuming from what you have described that this is a skin tumor (as opposed to hemangiosarcoma on the spleen)?

I have a few questions for you before I can answer this question fully:

Where is the hole? (a leg, on the side of the chest, elsewhere?)

When was the biopsy done?

How much bleeding is there over the day? (i.e. a cup of blood, a few drops of blood)

Thanks...I am in between a busy day of appointments so I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can after you answer those questions for me.

Sorry for being so vague.

The hole is in his right Paw

The biopsy was performed about 35 days ago

There is steady drip from the wound or a spray if I squeeze it. The hole has reduced in size to a pin hole where as 25 days ago the spray was as thick as Q tip shaft. I suspect he is loosing a half a cup of blood a day judging by the amount in his dressing when I change them. He is still eating and drinking ok at this point.

I'm so sorry for the wait! I had a dog come in with a broken leg that put me behind on my appointments.

What a frustrating problem. It sounds like there is a small blood vessel that is constantly leaking. A hemangiosarcoma is usally a very vascular type of cancer which means that it bleeds very easily.

There are a few things that I would do if this was my case. First of all, I would likely be putting him on some oral antibiotics. If a wound (i.e. biopsy site) is not healing properly then it can sometimes mean that there is infection present.

Next, I may try using something called Gel-foam. This is a substance that you can "squish" into a wound to help promote clotting and stop bleeding. I would then bandage the foot again after this.

Unfortunately though these are not things that you can do at home...Rugar is going to need to see the doctor again to do this.

It is possible that Rugar may need to have another surgery. If there is a blood vessel that is bleeding then the vet may need to open up the area and suture that vessel. Really, if it is still bleeding after 35 days then I am worried that this may have to happen.

I really hope things are ok!

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10820 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (32692 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8984 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (6295 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (38481 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (23317 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (9532 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (22558 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (122582 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (9326 views)