Bleeding after biopsy.

Breed: Black Lab
My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we removed skin for the biopsy will not heal. What are my options to stop the bleeding? Thank You

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with hemangiosarcoma in your dog. I am assuming from what you have described that this is a skin tumor (as opposed to hemangiosarcoma on the spleen)?

I have a few questions for you before I can answer this question fully:

Where is the hole? (a leg, on the side of the chest, elsewhere?)

When was the biopsy done?

How much bleeding is there over the day? (i.e. a cup of blood, a few drops of blood)

Thanks...I am in between a busy day of appointments so I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can after you answer those questions for me.

Sorry for being so vague.

The hole is in his right Paw

The biopsy was performed about 35 days ago

There is steady drip from the wound or a spray if I squeeze it. The hole has reduced in size to a pin hole where as 25 days ago the spray was as thick as Q tip shaft. I suspect he is loosing a half a cup of blood a day judging by the amount in his dressing when I change them. He is still eating and drinking ok at this point.

I'm so sorry for the wait! I had a dog come in with a broken leg that put me behind on my appointments.

What a frustrating problem. It sounds like there is a small blood vessel that is constantly leaking. A hemangiosarcoma is usally a very vascular type of cancer which means that it bleeds very easily.

There are a few things that I would do if this was my case. First of all, I would likely be putting him on some oral antibiotics. If a wound (i.e. biopsy site) is not healing properly then it can sometimes mean that there is infection present.

Next, I may try using something called Gel-foam. This is a substance that you can "squish" into a wound to help promote clotting and stop bleeding. I would then bandage the foot again after this.

Unfortunately though these are not things that you can do at home...Rugar is going to need to see the doctor again to do this.

It is possible that Rugar may need to have another surgery. If there is a blood vessel that is bleeding then the vet may need to open up the area and suture that vessel. Really, if it is still bleeding after 35 days then I am worried that this may have to happen.

I really hope things are ok!

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6257 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28348 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7427 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (45486 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6763 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7990 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (17772 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9160 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11823 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (19009 views)