Bleeding after biopsy.

Breed: Black Lab
My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we removed skin for the biopsy will not heal. What are my options to stop the bleeding? Thank You

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with hemangiosarcoma in your dog. I am assuming from what you have described that this is a skin tumor (as opposed to hemangiosarcoma on the spleen)?

I have a few questions for you before I can answer this question fully:

Where is the hole? (a leg, on the side of the chest, elsewhere?)

When was the biopsy done?

How much bleeding is there over the day? (i.e. a cup of blood, a few drops of blood)

Thanks...I am in between a busy day of appointments so I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can after you answer those questions for me.

Sorry for being so vague.

The hole is in his right Paw

The biopsy was performed about 35 days ago

There is steady drip from the wound or a spray if I squeeze it. The hole has reduced in size to a pin hole where as 25 days ago the spray was as thick as Q tip shaft. I suspect he is loosing a half a cup of blood a day judging by the amount in his dressing when I change them. He is still eating and drinking ok at this point.

I'm so sorry for the wait! I had a dog come in with a broken leg that put me behind on my appointments.

What a frustrating problem. It sounds like there is a small blood vessel that is constantly leaking. A hemangiosarcoma is usally a very vascular type of cancer which means that it bleeds very easily.

There are a few things that I would do if this was my case. First of all, I would likely be putting him on some oral antibiotics. If a wound (i.e. biopsy site) is not healing properly then it can sometimes mean that there is infection present.

Next, I may try using something called Gel-foam. This is a substance that you can "squish" into a wound to help promote clotting and stop bleeding. I would then bandage the foot again after this.

Unfortunately though these are not things that you can do at home...Rugar is going to need to see the doctor again to do this.

It is possible that Rugar may need to have another surgery. If there is a blood vessel that is bleeding then the vet may need to open up the area and suture that vessel. Really, if it is still bleeding after 35 days then I am worried that this may have to happen.

I really hope things are ok!

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8103 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (8754 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8643 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9612 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10374 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12337 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (49814 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6873 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (14380 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7697 views)