Is clostridium zoonotic?

Breed: Whitetail deer
Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has been previously sporadic and not very common. Humans are also susceptible to this disease too as I understand. My brother has lost about 70 deer in the last week to this disorder and we are currently caring for about 50 fawns by bottle feeding and as required wiping them to stimulate bowel movements. Can this disorder be passed from sick fawns to the treating humans?

Thank you for an interesting question. I have to preface my answer by saying that I primarily work with dogs, cats and pocket pets. Deer are definitely not my area of expertise. Still, I was able to do some research for you.

There are different types of Clostridium. You can have Clostridium perfringens or Clostridium difficile. And then each of these can have subtypes, one of which is "A".

I found this article that talked about whether or not clostridium is contagious to people.. The article starts off by saying that in most cases, clostridium is not zoonotic (i.e. it is not contagious). But, some types of clostridium that produce something called enterotoxins can be contagious to people. Clostridium perfringens CAN produce enterotoxins. It appears from reading this article though that when it is transmitted to humans it is from eating the deer meat. It doesn't appear that handling the deer or their bowel movements is dangerous to people. (Still, it's a good idea to keep up good hygiene.)

I found a reference on Veterinary Information Network where vets were discussing whether a dog with Clostridium Perfringens A (alpha toxin) was contagious to people. A specialist answered the question saying that we still don't know for sure whether this type of clostridium is contagious from animals to people but that the general consensus was that there probably isn't any danger.

I also found reference to Clostridium difficile type A in horses but the only concern for transmission to humans was again, if the meat was being eaten.

I think that the best thing your brother can do is speak to his doctor about this question. Or, another possibility is to contact your local public health department and they can tell you what the risk is.

From what I have read, it appears that the risk is low.

Hope that helps and I hope that the deer all recover soon!

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (9312 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (71743 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (17005 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (14368 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (11066 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12806 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (21024 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (16548 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (18161 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (25494 views)