Is clostridium zoonotic?

Breed: Whitetail deer
Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has been previously sporadic and not very common. Humans are also susceptible to this disease too as I understand. My brother has lost about 70 deer in the last week to this disorder and we are currently caring for about 50 fawns by bottle feeding and as required wiping them to stimulate bowel movements. Can this disorder be passed from sick fawns to the treating humans?

Thank you for an interesting question. I have to preface my answer by saying that I primarily work with dogs, cats and pocket pets. Deer are definitely not my area of expertise. Still, I was able to do some research for you.

There are different types of Clostridium. You can have Clostridium perfringens or Clostridium difficile. And then each of these can have subtypes, one of which is "A".

I found this article that talked about whether or not clostridium is contagious to people.. The article starts off by saying that in most cases, clostridium is not zoonotic (i.e. it is not contagious). But, some types of clostridium that produce something called enterotoxins can be contagious to people. Clostridium perfringens CAN produce enterotoxins. It appears from reading this article though that when it is transmitted to humans it is from eating the deer meat. It doesn't appear that handling the deer or their bowel movements is dangerous to people. (Still, it's a good idea to keep up good hygiene.)

I found a reference on Veterinary Information Network where vets were discussing whether a dog with Clostridium Perfringens A (alpha toxin) was contagious to people. A specialist answered the question saying that we still don't know for sure whether this type of clostridium is contagious from animals to people but that the general consensus was that there probably isn't any danger.

I also found reference to Clostridium difficile type A in horses but the only concern for transmission to humans was again, if the meat was being eaten.

I think that the best thing your brother can do is speak to his doctor about this question. Or, another possibility is to contact your local public health department and they can tell you what the risk is.

From what I have read, it appears that the risk is low.

Hope that helps and I hope that the deer all recover soon!

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (52029 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (10072 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12731 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (18869 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11713 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (17042 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (27962 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9306 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (15626 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (10587 views)