Hamster scabs and hair loss.

Breed: Dwarf Hamster
I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It started losing fur on its belly and a red ear in March. It worse, so a couple of months ago I took it to the vet. They treated him for sartopic mites and i give him antibiotics for a staph infection. Neither has worked. He has lost all his fur on his belly, legs, by his ears and now is starting on his back. One eye stays a little swollen looking. We use paper bedding. Any other suggestions of what I can do for him? I called the vet, but they require another office visit, I already paid $100, I can't do another visit.... I have a picture but don't know how to add it here.
Kina

I'd love to see a photo before commenting. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos. I've included the two best ones here:

hamster hair loss

hamster hair loss

How frustrating that you have done treatments for mange and antibiotics and he is still not getting better! I have some ideas for you, but unfortunately there is no easy/inexpensive way to get the the bottom of this problem.

The first thing I think of when I see a hamster like this is indeed mange. There are a couple of treatments including revolution (selamectin) which is what we often use as a heartworm/flea preventative on dogs and cats, or oral ivermectin. It sounds like you have tried one of these treatments. They usually do work well, although sometimes the treatment needs to be repeated every 2 weeks for 3 treatments.

The next possibility is a fungal infection. Unfortunately the only way to accurately know this is to send away samples for a fungal culture which is going to increase the cost. Antifungal medicines can help but again, can be expensive and can come with some side effects. Usually oral medicines have to be given (as opposed to creams).

It's also possible that George has a condition called Cushing's disease (more info here, but we usually see this in older hamsters. Plus we don't usually see as many scabs as it looks like George has.

And then, a bacterial infection is possible but really should have been successfully treated by now with the antibiotics.

It's worthwhile to give your vet a call. If you only did a single treatment for mange you could ask if they think you should repeat it. Otherwise, they may be willing to prescribe antifungal medicines....it is possible that they'll want to see him again before doing that though.

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8271 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11819 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (18515 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (11438 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (12271 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5477 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17897 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (91819 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10707 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16634 views)