Limping kitten.

Breed: calico cat
I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first three days, she was active and playful, hopping around, biting at my finger, etc. When I got home from work last night, she was limping on her front left paw, but would still eat. Now she won't eat or drink and is having tyrouble standing. Fell over into her food plate when I tried to feed her?

Oh dear. It really doesn't sound like Pepper is feeling well.

I can think of a few things that could cause these symptoms but I won't be able to say for certain without seeing Pepper.

It's possible that she has an abscess or infection somewhere on that leg. It could be the result of a bite from one of her littermates. It can take several days for the infection to get bad enough to affect her. Often times there can be infection under the skin and we can't see the original wound. The infection can cause fever which can cause her to have a lack of appetite. The difficulty standing could be because of the pain when she puts weight on that leg.

It's also possible that she has suffered some neurological trauma to that leg. This could happen from having the leg traumatically pulled (i.e. by a young child) or stepped on.

Another possibility is a fracture in that leg. It doesn't take much to fracture a bone for a kitten.

This is unlikely, but did Pepper receive any vaccinations in the last few days? (She's a little young for that, but it's possible.) There is a rare complication related to vaccinations called "limping kitten syndrome."

In any case, this is a situation where Pepper should really see a vet today. I don't like it when kittens don't want to eat. If she has an infection or a serious painful issue like a neurological trauma or a fracture then this needs to be addressed right away!

I really hope she is ok!

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6788 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (18008 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (191999 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (57624 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14339 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55464 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8029 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16356 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5490 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26832 views)