Vomiting kitten.

Breed: unknown
My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very energetic and loves to play. and is always on the move, jumping and flipping. we feed him every 5 hours 2 tablespoons of KMR. recently about an hour before we feed him he starts meowing and licking his lips gags and has even thrown up. his throw up is the same color of the kmr and looks a tiny bit foamy. His pee is clear and his poop is normal. He still is as active as ever and still has an appetite. whats wrong with him? should we take him to the vet?

Hi and thanks for your question.

The symptoms that you are describing do not sound normal. A kitten should not be vomiting like this. It's hard to say what the cause is without actually examining Jinxster but here are a few thoughts:

1. He could have a foreign object in his stomach that is stopping the food from passing through properly. However, if this were the case you should notice that he does not have much stool and is very thin and lethargic.

2. He could have a condition called megaesophagus. This is a condition where the tube from the mouth to the stomach does not move food along properly. Animals with this condition regurgitate their food very easily. However, this is very rare in cats. Also, it would not cause him to gag and vomit before eating.

3. He could have some parasites.

4. He could have a problem with his liver or kidneys that is causing him to not feel well...but again you would expect him to be quiet and not feeling well.

At 4 weeks old, this little guy should be able to eat solid food. I would consider starting him on some watered down canned kitten food. Hopefully he can keep this down better.

But, if this continues then he really should see a vet to have a good exam and see if they can figure out what is wrong. I wouldn't wait too long because kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

Hope things improve soon!

thank you for answering so quickly. I'm taking him to the vet today to see whats wrong

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26635 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24313 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6361 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8012 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6775 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7657 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11693 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19633 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13236 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48378 views)