Is this a chest tumor?

Breed: Siamese- Apple head
Hello.

My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing about a month ago.
There has not been any noticable changes in her activity, eating or litter box.

The cough recently became more frequent: day and night, from asleep and awake. So we took her to the vet. They put her on steroids and antibiotics. There was no improvement.

Xrays were taken and nodules are in her left lung. The vet has referred us to an internal medicine doctor for an ultrasound. Our appointment is Monday 4/15.
Everything I'm reading says that there is not an easy, 100% accurate way to determine what's in the lungs. Is there any other option for diagnosis?

I would like to know all of our options before handing out $450 to be told that the ultrasound doesn't show anything.

Yueng coughed all of lastnight. It is heartbreaking to see her suffer through those cough attacks. So, I would like to make sure that what we are doing to help her isn't wasting time nor our limited money.

Thank you for your insight!

p.s. When I get home from work tonight, I will send you her xrays.

Hi. Are you able to send the xrays still? I was about to answer the question but if you are able to send an image of the xrays to me this may give me more information. I am heading offline for the night right now, but I'll check in on the question again tomorrow.

I just emailed the xrays to your photo@ email address.
My vet had to email the xrays again. I was not able to open the photos from the disc that they gave me.

Let me know if you did not receive them.

Thank you for sending these images of xrays. I have spent some time in photoshop and outlined what the problem may be. It's often hard to interpret xrays though and this is likely why your vet wants to have further tests done.

Here is the lateral (side) view of Yueng's chest:

cat chest xray lateral view

When you look at chest xrays, you want to see black where air should be. You should be able to easily see the heart. In the image below, I have outlined the heart, but there is a troublesome area that may possibly be a tumor:

cat xray of tumor in chest - lateral view

Here is the v/d view. This is done with the cat on her back. (I just realized that I have these flipped the wrong way horizontally, but that really doesn't matter for my explanation:

cat xray of chest v/d view

In a v/d view of a chest xray, when you look at the black areas on either side they should be symmetrical. But, there is a density on the left side of this xray which could be a tumor:

cat xray of tumor in chest - v/d view

The problem is though that xrays are super hard to interpret. What I can say is that there is *something* unusual there and the most likely explanation is that this is a tumor. However, it could be that this is a collapsed lung or even pneumonia (that perhaps needs a different type of antibiotic) or a number of other unusual types of things.

An ultrasound may give us the answer, but it is not always 100%. If the vet feels it is safe and necessary they may consider putting a needle into this area when they are ultrasounding to see if they can draw out some cells. The cells may tell you whether this is a tumor or something else.

Hopefully it is not a tumor as cats with chest tumors usually do not do well.

I hope this answers your questions but please let me know if you have more. I hope that all works out ok.

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (29178 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6783 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (27303 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (18151 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10824 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32684 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4646 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (4808 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (14992 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10138 views)