Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Pill stuck in cat's mouth.

Species: Cat
Breed: DSH
Age: 8-11 years
Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is on methimazole for thyroid. All returned normal except thryoid level slightly elevated. She seemed fine when she returned home except she was now limping on leg where blood was drawn. Friday night she went into hiding in the cellar for an unknown reason and refused to come back up and refused to eat. I took her to the Vet late last night. They did find her leg was bruised where the blood was drawn and gave her a shot of buprenex. I felt they did a thorough exam last night and checked her back, limbs, walking, eyes, blood pressure, temperature. They do not know what is wrong. Unexplained anorexia. They thought possibly traumatized from previous visit. They told me to give her 1/4 tab mirtazapine which I did this morning. She is semi-feral so that did not go well and it got lodged in her mouth. Foaming, drooling, etc. Few hours later I could tell it was still there in her mouth. She kept trying to spit it out even a few hours later and is whinning and whimpering. I wrapped her in towel and managed to get .4ml of water in her with syringe. That initiated the drooling and foaming all over again. She refuses to come out of hiding or eat still. She only weighs 5.5 lbs but she is an extremely petite cat but the Vet does not want her to lose weight. Question: how long will it take for this horrible mirtazapine to finally dissolve for her? Should I try another dose of water? She has not had any food since Friday, should I initiate force feeding with syringe or should I just wait and let her try on her own and finally should I take her back to the Vet if she does not start eating by tomorrow or should I wait until Tuesday? Thanks so much and look forward to hearing back from you.
Regards,
Shelley Rosa


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, poor Jinny. This sounds like a very unfortunate situation.

I don't think that there is much that you can do to help that pill dissolve. Most likely, trying to squirt water in her mouth will cause her more distress. You could possibly try offering her something tasty to drink such as some tuna juice or even a small amount of milk. Normally, I'm not a fan of giving milk to cats, but in this one situation it may be something that helps get the pill out of her mouth.

It's not uncommon for a cat to be a little bit sore after having blood drawn, but it really shouldn't last for longer than a day or two. If she is still not wanting to eat today then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on and yes, she should go back to see the vet again. The vet may want to do some additional blood tests or perhaps take xrays.

Force feeding probably won't accomplish much other than to contribute to her stress. You can try offering her some heated up canned cat food as some cats really like this. But again, if she is still not eating by today I think that the best option is to have her seen again.

Please let me know if you have more questions and I hope that things look up soon.

Dr. Marie



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you for your reply. Things have not improved. I have tried every type of cat food, tuna, baby food, chicken stock, no luck. She is going back to the Vet in an hour and a half and more than likely they will hospitalize her.

Regards,
Shelley Rosa


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7062 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4982 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (14387 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9551 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7256 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33158 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14177 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9315 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7597 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13946 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.