Licking feet.

Breed: American Short-haire
My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them against the floor in a very fast, repeating manner. This started yesterday. She eventually stopped but today she's doing again and is now hiding under the bed. She doesn't want to come out so that I can check on her paws. Not even to eat unless I bring the bowl next to the bed. Yesterday her paws seemed fine. I wanted to take her to the vet but the earliest appointment available is Saturday. Any advice you can give? She recently had a check up and she's apparently in very good shape for her age.

I have to say that these are really odd symptoms. I don't think I have ever had a case where a cat is frantically licking and thumping their back feet.

My first thought would be whether she has stepped in something that is irritating her. Does she go outside? I wonder if she possibly stepped on something hot and has burns on the bottom of her feet? Can you see if there is anything unusual on her feet? I know that will be hard to check if she won't let you examine her.

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause these symptoms. There are some arthritis conditions that can cause pain in the back legs but they wouldn't come on so quickly.

It sounds like an exam is really needed. It is important that she continues to eat. So, if she will eat when you bring the bowl to her then you may need to keep doing that. If her appetite decreases or if she is not making any improvement at all I'd phone the vet again and see if they can get you in earlier.

I'd love to hear what the vet says. Please do post back if you get a diagnosis.

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (7504 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (10757 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (30340 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (19915 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5253 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84468 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (31950 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29811 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (11485 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (45725 views)