Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism?

Breed: Beagle
My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in clumps, weight gain, and many small black spots under tongue. I thought it might be her thyroid but the spots under tongue are throwing me off. She hasn't been around any other pets and traveling to vet stresses her out, also she doesn't act as if she is in pain. Is this something I should stress her out with by taking her in?

This is an interesting set of symptoms. There really is no condition that I can think of that would cause black spots to appear under a dog's tongue. The vast majority of the time when a client has brought in a dog because they noticed black spots on the tongue they have been just normal pigment spots. Sometimes these spots can get larger over time. I think that in many cases the spots were always there but the owner just noticed them because they were examining the pet more closely looking for clues as to what is going wrong with the dog.

Now, if the spots look painful or seem to be bothering the dog then that's a different story and I would get them checked out right away.

A poor hair coat and weight gain certainly can be signs of hypothyroidism. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine your dog and perhaps do some blood tests to determine if the thyroid is a problem.

However, coughing is not a symptom of hypothyroidism. If this is a sudden cough then it might be that she has a problem like kennel cough. If it has been going on for a while then I would be concerned about something more serious such as heart disease or another type of lung condition.

It does sound like a veterinary checkup is a good idea. However, be prepared for your vet to want to do some tests. If this were my case I'd want to be doing a full set of blood tests (biochemistry, CBC and thyroid) as well as some chest xrays.

Hope everything works out ok!

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4886 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6199 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (9003 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (10036 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (8045 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (18277 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15333 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (26446 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14567 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (10117 views)