Abscess on dog's neck.

Breed: Boxer
We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It sometimes will leak puss occasionally. It grew exponentially in the last day or so. I tried getting an appointment on Saturday at my vet, but couldn't. In the last 24 hours, she started developing fluid in the lower part of her neck below her jaw. Also, the hard lump on the upper neck just burst and lots of blood like fluid drained out along with puss like fluid. A couple of other details...she yelped twice when it was touched inadvertently. It has never seemed to hurt her prior to this time. She also hasn't had much of an appetite. However, her appetite is always sporadic so that may not mean anything. She was scratching at it too, which probably caused it to open up. I went ahead and drained it the best I could so it wasn't all over our house (using peroxide and paper towels). I will go to my vet tomorrow, but is there anything I should do in the meantime? Should I go to a 24 hour emergency vet? Any thoughts on what this could be? I sent 3 photos for your reference. Thank you for your help!

Aw, sorry to hear about your dog. I'm also sorry I'm only just responding to you now as you likely have already seen the vet.

This really does sound like an abscess. Abscesses usually start with some sort of break in the skin. It's odd but I seem to see more boxers with neck abscesses than other breeds.

Thanks for sending some excellent photos. Your girl looks like a real sweetheart. She doesn't look very impressed about the lump:

abscess on dog's neck

dog abscess

There's not a whole lot that you can do for this at home other than take a warm cloth and wipe away the pus that you see. I don't recommend trying to lance the abscess or open it up. As you have discovered they can be quite messy. Also, if this abscess is on the neck then if you try to lance it you run the risk of puncturing the jugular vein which would definitely not be good.

You may find that you can give your dog some relief by putting a warm cloth on the area for 20 minutes at a time occasionally throughout the night. This might help reduce some of the swelling.

If you have any anti-inflammatory medicine such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Deramaxx or other medications that have been prescribed for your dog for pain at some point then giving a dose of this would help. However, if you don't, I don't recommend giving anything over the counter. Medications like aspirin could potentially cause an increase in bleeding.

Peroxide is not a bad idea if there is a mess caked on the fur, but if you continue to use peroxide it will sting and it can cause tissue damage. Really, just warm water is best.

If she is painful and not eating well then it's possible that she has a fever associated with this abscess. Your vet will check this and may possibly prescribe medication to bring the fever down. Most likely they'll prescribe antibiotics that will help.

I have seen some abscesses that heal with good antibiotics. But, many of them will need some type of surgery so that they drain completely. Your vet will advise you on whether surgery is necessary.

Hopefully she is feeling better soon!

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (16822 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7978 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9564 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5093 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (13928 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15979 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (194593 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9062 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36451 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9923 views)