Stop dogs from fighting.

Breed: Dachshund
I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this? It has gotten out of hand. They are both spayed. I am in desperate need for help. Have tried angexity meds. but that does not work.

This is a tough question to answer, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

The first thing that I usually suggest when a client has a problem with two dogs not getting along is to make sure that both are thoroughly obedience trained. This usually means enrolling them (and you) in classes. The point is that they learn to listen to you. That way, if you can see a problem is happening, you can tell both dogs to SIT and STAY and they should listen.

I would highly recommend seeing a veterinary behaviouralist if there is one available in your area. This would be a veterinarian who has done extra training for behavioural issues. They can really help you to work through this problem. But, this will not be inexpensive and can take some time.

If there is no behaviouralist available in your area then hiring a dog trainer can often help. However, there are good trainers out there and also some who are not so good. Get references if you do hire one.

You mentioned that you have tried anxiety meds. There are a number of different kinds and if one kind does not work, you might find that another kind does. The best option when using anti-anxiety medication is to do so in conjunction with working with a good trainer or veterinary behaviouralist. I have had good success with a drug called Reconcile but other ones that your vets may try include Clomicalm and even Xanax.

There are some dogs that are really difficult to train. I have had some situations where I have recommended rehoming a dog rather than having them fight all the time. Or, another option is to keep a cage muzzle on the aggressive dog. This is not the type of muzzle where the mouth is shut all the time, but one where they can breathe and pant well but can't bite. It's not an optimal solution but it is something that works.

I wish I had more helpful advice for you. Unfortunately this is a really difficult problem.

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9970 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11270 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19262 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (48144 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56796 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11728 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13507 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14971 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8810 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10436 views)