Bleach got on dog's skin.

Breed: Mastiff
Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog crate and onto our dog.

We rinsed our dogs eyes (and body) with warm water, and then sopped the eyes with warm water from a washcloth.

Our puppy (90 lbs) failed to show any signs of discomfort (blinking, rubbing) and his eyes look normal (not reddish or watering).

I once had mist from a stronger cleaning solution in my eyes many years ago, and I was exhibiting unmistakable signs of distress.

We don't actually know if spray or mist directly entered his eyes.

This didn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit, and this seems a bit neglectful on our part...so I'm a little embarrassed to contact our regular Vet.

Would you recommend further action?

We have two young children as well and I understand how these things can happen.

The biggest concern for bleach is if a dog was actively drinking bleach which is unlikely in this case. Breathing in a significant amount can cause respiratory problems as well. But, this sounds likely as well.

The following quote is from the health hazard section of the MSDS for bleach:

Some clinical reports suggest a low potential for sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g., irritation) occurs during
exposure. Under normal consumer use conditions the likelihood of any adverse
health effects are low.

In other words, there is a small chance that there could be skin irritation with bleach exposure, but in most cases, nothing will happen.

Many veterinary clinics use bleach to clean their cages and would not do so if residual bleach in the cage could cause skin burns.

At this point I would not be overly concerned. However, I would keep a close watch on your dog and if you see any red areas on the skin, difficulty breathing, coughing, red eyes or vomiting/diarrhea then I would have a vet take a look.

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (6600 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55102 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (6742 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (13608 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (31538 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (10444 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (8448 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (12571 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (21885 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (22271 views)