Bleach got on dog's skin.

Breed: Mastiff
Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog crate and onto our dog.

We rinsed our dogs eyes (and body) with warm water, and then sopped the eyes with warm water from a washcloth.

Our puppy (90 lbs) failed to show any signs of discomfort (blinking, rubbing) and his eyes look normal (not reddish or watering).

I once had mist from a stronger cleaning solution in my eyes many years ago, and I was exhibiting unmistakable signs of distress.

We don't actually know if spray or mist directly entered his eyes.

This didn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit, and this seems a bit neglectful on our part...so I'm a little embarrassed to contact our regular Vet.

Would you recommend further action?

We have two young children as well and I understand how these things can happen.

The biggest concern for bleach is if a dog was actively drinking bleach which is unlikely in this case. Breathing in a significant amount can cause respiratory problems as well. But, this sounds likely as well.

The following quote is from the health hazard section of the MSDS for bleach:

Some clinical reports suggest a low potential for sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g., irritation) occurs during
exposure. Under normal consumer use conditions the likelihood of any adverse
health effects are low.

In other words, there is a small chance that there could be skin irritation with bleach exposure, but in most cases, nothing will happen.

Many veterinary clinics use bleach to clean their cages and would not do so if residual bleach in the cage could cause skin burns.

At this point I would not be overly concerned. However, I would keep a close watch on your dog and if you see any red areas on the skin, difficulty breathing, coughing, red eyes or vomiting/diarrhea then I would have a vet take a look.

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9399 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10166 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5636 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (39444 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12536 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9062 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9114 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (18226 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (76126 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5112 views)