Black spot on dog's chest.

Breed: Black Lab
My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it looked like there was a hole in it. Then the next day where the hole was it just looks like dry skin. One area is slightly raised. She lets me touch it and it doesn't seem like it's affecting her. There's no redness, swelling, weeping or itching. It has been there for about 2 weeks now with no change. I just figured it was a new mole. I sent 2 pictures of it to the email address. I would like to get an idea of what it could be and if it could be serious. At the same time I don't want to freak out and rush her to the Vet and pay 100+ just for them to say its a normal mole.

This is a tough one! I have had a look at the photos that you sent me and I can't say that I've got any solid conclusions for you:

black spot on dog's skin

black spot on dog's chest

My gut instinct is that this is nothing to worry about. It may be some type of a scab from a scratch. If this is the case then it should go away on its own over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this is a localized area of infection although it doesn't look typical of this. If it is getting larger or red and inflamed then I'd have it checked.

I think that this is unlikely to be cancerous but I can't say for certain without doing tests on it. We do see melanomas in dogs, but they don't usually look like this.

At this point I would keep an eye on this and if it gets much bigger, red or starts to ooze then I'd have your vet check it out.

Thank you so much. I just checked it again and still no changes. I plan to just watch it but so far nothing alarming has happened. This gives my mind some peace.

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (28650 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (11590 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (4855 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (23615 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (18243 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (6681 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (3953 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (10319 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15048 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13444 views)