Black spot on dog's chest.

Breed: Black Lab
My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it looked like there was a hole in it. Then the next day where the hole was it just looks like dry skin. One area is slightly raised. She lets me touch it and it doesn't seem like it's affecting her. There's no redness, swelling, weeping or itching. It has been there for about 2 weeks now with no change. I just figured it was a new mole. I sent 2 pictures of it to the email address. I would like to get an idea of what it could be and if it could be serious. At the same time I don't want to freak out and rush her to the Vet and pay 100+ just for them to say its a normal mole.

This is a tough one! I have had a look at the photos that you sent me and I can't say that I've got any solid conclusions for you:

black spot on dog's skin

black spot on dog's chest

My gut instinct is that this is nothing to worry about. It may be some type of a scab from a scratch. If this is the case then it should go away on its own over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this is a localized area of infection although it doesn't look typical of this. If it is getting larger or red and inflamed then I'd have it checked.

I think that this is unlikely to be cancerous but I can't say for certain without doing tests on it. We do see melanomas in dogs, but they don't usually look like this.

At this point I would keep an eye on this and if it gets much bigger, red or starts to ooze then I'd have your vet check it out.

Thank you so much. I just checked it again and still no changes. I plan to just watch it but so far nothing alarming has happened. This gives my mind some peace.

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (13896 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (32507 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (17334 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7226 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10624 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (48567 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (24168 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (49431 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (11650 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (18503 views)