Black spot on dog's chest.

Breed: Black Lab
My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it looked like there was a hole in it. Then the next day where the hole was it just looks like dry skin. One area is slightly raised. She lets me touch it and it doesn't seem like it's affecting her. There's no redness, swelling, weeping or itching. It has been there for about 2 weeks now with no change. I just figured it was a new mole. I sent 2 pictures of it to the email address. I would like to get an idea of what it could be and if it could be serious. At the same time I don't want to freak out and rush her to the Vet and pay 100+ just for them to say its a normal mole.

This is a tough one! I have had a look at the photos that you sent me and I can't say that I've got any solid conclusions for you:

black spot on dog's skin

black spot on dog's chest

My gut instinct is that this is nothing to worry about. It may be some type of a scab from a scratch. If this is the case then it should go away on its own over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this is a localized area of infection although it doesn't look typical of this. If it is getting larger or red and inflamed then I'd have it checked.

I think that this is unlikely to be cancerous but I can't say for certain without doing tests on it. We do see melanomas in dogs, but they don't usually look like this.

At this point I would keep an eye on this and if it gets much bigger, red or starts to ooze then I'd have your vet check it out.

Thank you so much. I just checked it again and still no changes. I plan to just watch it but so far nothing alarming has happened. This gives my mind some peace.

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (67374 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8968 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8734 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21178 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16090 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6491 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13084 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9438 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (10998 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11581 views)