Bumps on schnauzer.

Breed: Schnauzer
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet inexpensive resource.
My question: My Schnauzer (6 years old) developed bumps along her spine at the beginning of summer. They seem fairly innocuous, although they seem to cause some itching especially in the evening. The morphology is they start out as small white bumps about 1-2 mm in diameter. As they grow (about 1 mm in height) they turn red, then develop a hard yellow top. If left alone the yellow blob will crust onto the hair (BTW, no hair loss around bumps) and the now dry, slightly bloody bump, with a crater like shape where the yellow blob was, will scab over and heal. This whole process taking about 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently treating with witch hazel which seems to soften the hard yellow blob into a syrupy consistency detaching it from the bump and thus speeding up the healing process.
I've attached 2 pictures, the first is the crater shaped bump after the yellow blob has detached, thus will scab over in a day. The second picture is the yellow blob entangled in the hair. Normally it would be a hard yellow blob, however, I used some witch hazel to help with the picture, thus the syrupy looking state.
My guess is this is just a unusual case of Schnauzer back, but what do I know ;-)

Thank you,
Jonathan

Thanks for including these photos of the bumps on your schnauzer:

bump on schnauzer

bumps on schnauzer

There are a few things that this could be. I won't be able to give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts.

What you are describing sounds very typical of a bacterial skin infection. These are really common. A bacterial skin infection often will have pustules which will then crust over.

If this is a skin infection then your dog will need antibiotics either given orally or by injection. You'll need to see a vet to get a prescription for this.

Schnauzers are known for getting odd skin bumps called comedones. However, these do not look like comedones. Comedones are usually black nodules and not the color that you have described.

I have also seen dogs with warts that look like this but they don't usually go away and crust over. It really looks like there is a good chance there is a bacterial skin infection.

Hope things clear up soon!

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8667 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15984 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10138 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (20665 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (8460 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (14085 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20926 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14603 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6540 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24998 views)