Dog ate duck bones.

Breed: Labrador

Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch time from the table, I hesitated to take it away since she was really enjoying it. I saw her chew it rather than swallow the whole bone, but it was gone fairly quickly. She was fine then and seems to be happy and normal now. But from yesterday evening her stool became quite loose. Today it's the same story, her stool was ok at first and by the time she finished, it was runny. (sorry for the details). The colour is changed from normally dark brown to yellow. But there hasn't been/isn't blood. I am a bit worried now, is there anything blocking her bowels so she's not digesting the food properly (only guessing)? Please let me know if there is anything I can do to check whether she's ok. Or if this is the normal reaction, how long does it take to pass?

Thank you very much!

Lin

Sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well.

I don't think I have ever treated a dog who ingested duck bones. But, I have seen a lot of dogs who swallowed chicken bones. I am assuming that they are digested similarly, but can't say for certain. When a dog ingests chicken bones, they are usually able to digest them well and they usually get broken down in the stomach. There is always a slight risk of intestinal perforation but I can't say that I have ever seen this happen. I think that the risk of perforation or obstruction in your dog's case is probably quite small.

My guess is that this is some intestinal caused by eating something she is not used to. If this is the case then it may help to do the following:

-24 hours with no food (water is ok)
-then feed small meals of rice and either boiled chicken or boiled hamburger (with the fat drained off)

If things don't improve within 24 hours, or if she seems to be getting worse, then I would definitely see the vet. My biggest concern, if things are getting worse would be for pancreatitis.

I'm guessing though that things will improve soon.

Hi Dr.Marie,

Thank you for your answers.

After you replied, we were less concerned since Poppy was bright and eating-going to toilet regularly, although the consistency was still bad. Then we took her travel with us during the Christmas period, she accidentally had some cat food and some incense oil, which didn't help her tummy at all. So on Tuesday we took her to a vet, the vet said there is nothing to worry about, probably just a combination of things that went into her already sensitive tummy. She gave us the vet formula dry food and things have improved since then.

Now we are back home, and she seems to be back to normal completely. We are going to reintroduce her old food gradually and see how it goes, or we'll stay on the vet food until she's older.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Lin

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (31171 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (12997 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (9455 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4836 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (57716 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10564 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (29454 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32835 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32263 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6127 views)