Home remedy for ear infection?

Breed: golden retreiver
My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to date and his rabies is good until April 11, he now seems to have an ear infection (?) should I be concerned? Is there anything that I can treat him with at home that is natural. I have heard tea tree oil works?

Thank you

Thanks for your question.

You may not be happy with my answer though. :(

Unfortunately almost all ear infections need to be treated with medication prescribed by the veterinarian.

Sometimes if a dog just has excess debris in the ear then regular cleansing with an ear cleaner can help. However, if there is a lot of debris, or the debris keeps coming back after cleaning then this is likely an ear infection that will need stronger medicine.

Ear infections are really common in Golden Retrievers. They are usually caused by a combination of bacteria and yeast. Your vet may do a test called a cytology where they can determine if this is bacteria, yeast or a combo of both. Then, they can decide which medication is best.

I know it is expensive to see the vet but it is definitely worthwhile. I have seen so many dogs that have horrible problems with their ears because their owners tried to treat them at home. I have had some people try to treat the ears with an over the counter yeast medication. This ended up causing a horrible bacterial infection.

When ear infections go untreated for a long time they can be very expensive to clear up.

I hope things are ok soon!

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (22109 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (10141 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (28310 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (41704 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (14680 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (32604 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (28973 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14209 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (22828 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (13305 views)