Dog had a seizure.

Breed: Whippet/Jack Russell
My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack Russell mix. It was the second – the first was probably three months ago. It started with her trembling while lying down. I carried her onto the carpet, and she stood leaning against me with her legs stiff as she continued to shake and apparently unable to move. After about three minutes or so she regained muscle control and heaved several times before vomiting up some frothy yellow mucus. She vomited once more within five minutes. I immediately scrambled an egg for her, and by the time it was cool enough for her to eat she was eating it and wagging her tail. I took her outside shortly afterwards and she peeped – she didn’t loose control in the house. She has been lethargic today, but appears normal. I took her out to peep again about six hours later and she took care of her business again. We will take her to the vet next week – our vet is not open on the weekend. Do you have any suggestions?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sophie had a seizure. What you are describing definitely sounds like seizures.

It is often difficult to know what the cause of seizures is. Your vet will likely want to do some blood tests to determine if there is a problem with toxicity to her liver or kidneys. However, most of the time we simply don't find a cause.

When there is no known cause for seizures, then this is what we call epilepsy.

When dogs have epilepsy, we do have medications that help to cut down on how often she is having seizures. However, if she is having seizures every 3 months then your vet may advise to do nothing.

Personally, I usually put a dog on anti-seizure medication if they are having 3-4 seizures per month.

The good news is that seizures are not painful to a dog. They may have some confusion for up to a couple of hours afterwards, but the actual seizure is not painful. They are not aware of what is happening.

There really isn't much that you can do for her right now. If she has more seizures this weekend then you may want to see an emergency vet. However, my guess is that it will likely be a few more months before she has one. And again, if she is having them close together then your vet will discuss putting her on medication.

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (42982 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (51457 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10243 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (10947 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (22803 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (44958 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7437 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (24061 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15166 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (8803 views)