Dog had a seizure.

Breed: Whippet/Jack Russell
My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack Russell mix. It was the second – the first was probably three months ago. It started with her trembling while lying down. I carried her onto the carpet, and she stood leaning against me with her legs stiff as she continued to shake and apparently unable to move. After about three minutes or so she regained muscle control and heaved several times before vomiting up some frothy yellow mucus. She vomited once more within five minutes. I immediately scrambled an egg for her, and by the time it was cool enough for her to eat she was eating it and wagging her tail. I took her outside shortly afterwards and she peeped – she didn’t loose control in the house. She has been lethargic today, but appears normal. I took her out to peep again about six hours later and she took care of her business again. We will take her to the vet next week – our vet is not open on the weekend. Do you have any suggestions?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sophie had a seizure. What you are describing definitely sounds like seizures.

It is often difficult to know what the cause of seizures is. Your vet will likely want to do some blood tests to determine if there is a problem with toxicity to her liver or kidneys. However, most of the time we simply don't find a cause.

When there is no known cause for seizures, then this is what we call epilepsy.

When dogs have epilepsy, we do have medications that help to cut down on how often she is having seizures. However, if she is having seizures every 3 months then your vet may advise to do nothing.

Personally, I usually put a dog on anti-seizure medication if they are having 3-4 seizures per month.

The good news is that seizures are not painful to a dog. They may have some confusion for up to a couple of hours afterwards, but the actual seizure is not painful. They are not aware of what is happening.

There really isn't much that you can do for her right now. If she has more seizures this weekend then you may want to see an emergency vet. However, my guess is that it will likely be a few more months before she has one. And again, if she is having them close together then your vet will discuss putting her on medication.

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10796 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (23598 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (17049 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (10889 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14669 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (19667 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (19363 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (13302 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (12727 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (10874 views)