Dog had a seizure.

Breed: Whippet/Jack Russell
My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack Russell mix. It was the second – the first was probably three months ago. It started with her trembling while lying down. I carried her onto the carpet, and she stood leaning against me with her legs stiff as she continued to shake and apparently unable to move. After about three minutes or so she regained muscle control and heaved several times before vomiting up some frothy yellow mucus. She vomited once more within five minutes. I immediately scrambled an egg for her, and by the time it was cool enough for her to eat she was eating it and wagging her tail. I took her outside shortly afterwards and she peeped – she didn’t loose control in the house. She has been lethargic today, but appears normal. I took her out to peep again about six hours later and she took care of her business again. We will take her to the vet next week – our vet is not open on the weekend. Do you have any suggestions?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sophie had a seizure. What you are describing definitely sounds like seizures.

It is often difficult to know what the cause of seizures is. Your vet will likely want to do some blood tests to determine if there is a problem with toxicity to her liver or kidneys. However, most of the time we simply don't find a cause.

When there is no known cause for seizures, then this is what we call epilepsy.

When dogs have epilepsy, we do have medications that help to cut down on how often she is having seizures. However, if she is having seizures every 3 months then your vet may advise to do nothing.

Personally, I usually put a dog on anti-seizure medication if they are having 3-4 seizures per month.

The good news is that seizures are not painful to a dog. They may have some confusion for up to a couple of hours afterwards, but the actual seizure is not painful. They are not aware of what is happening.

There really isn't much that you can do for her right now. If she has more seizures this weekend then you may want to see an emergency vet. However, my guess is that it will likely be a few more months before she has one. And again, if she is having them close together then your vet will discuss putting her on medication.

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (69696 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (25780 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (5969 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (7340 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (23755 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (15780 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (4343 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (12030 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (11615 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (27034 views)