Puppy has diarrhea.

Breed: Shih Tzue
Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday and she ate well and is playing quite happily. She isn't vomiting at all. But, she has had diarrhea about 5 times today. What can I do to help her? She is such a cute little puppy and I don't want her to get sick!

Hi there...sorry to hear that your little one is not well!

There are several possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea. First of all, it is possible that she has an upset digestive tract due to a change in food or even due to stress especially if she has recently come from her mom to your place. (Not that your place is stressful, but it is all new for her). If this is the case, it should be temporary. I don't usually recommend fasting puppies because their little systems are not good at handling dehydration, but you can try feeding just very small meals of cooked chicken and rice for a day or two to see how she does.

The next possibility is that she has some parasites. There are many different kinds of parasites. Your vet will be able to tell by doing some tests on a stool sample whether there are parasites there and which medicines would be the most effective. Some parasites like coccidia or giardia are not killed by routine deworming.

If she is really unwell, she could possibly have parvo virus which is quite serious. Parvo usually also causes vomiting. The treatment for parvo is intensive hospitalization and IV fluids. However, it sounds like Pixie is still feeling well and as there is no vomiting this really doesn't sound like parvo.

Thanks Dr. Marie! That makes me feel better! If this is giardia or coccidia will it go away on its own? Could this still be parvo virus even though she is feeling ok? I had a dog die from parvo before and I am very scared of it!

You're very welcome! Giardia and coccidia both require prescription medications in order to be cleared.

This really is unlikely to be parvo from what you have described. However, if the diarrhea gets really watery and has blood and if she starts to vomit then I would be more concerned.

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (25031 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9619 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11301 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7999 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13916 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8259 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8049 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8625 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (14970 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11501 views)