Guinea pig scabs around mouth.

Breed: guinea pig
My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took him to the vets twice and the vet gave me anti biotics. The scabs cleared up but after about a mounth they are coming back. Why is this happening? What has cause this? How can i help this?

There is actually a condition in guinea pigs that is called "scabs around the mouth". The treatment for this condition is to clean the scabs with an antiseptic solution (prescribed by your vet) and also use a dilute solution of povidone iodine. Along with this, Panalog cream (again prescribed by the vet).

Some vets think that this is caused by a virus, but no one really knows. It could also be bacterial or fungal.

Of course, though, I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. If this were my case and my clients could afford it I would be recommending biopsies of the affected skin. This really should tell us what it is and how to treat it.

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (676831 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13377 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40521 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7898 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9929 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (5372 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5042 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (46416 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12104 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (12379 views)