Young cat died after sneezing.

Breed: DSH
I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize.

I had four kittens in my care, recently just adopted out one kitten. The kitten was very small, about 16 weeks. Had all shots, dewormed, and was free of fleas. 1 week after he was adopted into his new home, the owner called me to tell me that he was dead one morning. He did say a very little amount of sneezing was present.

This kitten was housed with three other kittens I was taking care of. I am worried about them developing a URI if that kitten was incubating the disease or was spreading it. The other kittens were vaccinated the day they came in.

Picture of three remaining kittens here: http://s18.postimg.org/cv5c7ksy1/DSC08545.jpg

Should I go ahead and start antibiotics as a precautionary measure since one of the kitties have sneezed a few times or should I wait until I see more signs that point to disease?

Is there any other things I can do to prepare for an upper respiratory infection and help them survive if they are incubating it? I do have some vet tech experience with giving shots and meds. I am just worried and mad at myself for paring them together, I was just hurting for space at the time.

Thanks much.

I'm sorry to hear about this poor little kitty.

I am suspicious that there was something other than a respiratory infection that was responsible for this cat's death. While a respiratory infection can be fatal, you would see a lot more than just a little sneezing.

If a young cat dies suddenly I wonder about a heart condition such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This would be something that he would have been born with and there really is nothing that you would want to do with the other cats as it would not be something contagious.

Antibiotics are not necessary for these cats. If there is a respiratory virus, the virus won't be killed by antibiotics. However, if a cat gets a virus and it gets to the point where there is green nasal discharge it may be that there is also a secondary bacterial infection. If that happens then you can talk to a vet about getting some antibiotics.

It is possible that the deceased kitty had a virus that was affecting his immune system such as FIV, FIP or Feline Leukemia virus. If this is the case then it is possible that the other cats have this too. You could have them tested, but there is no cure for these viruses so testing would not change much. However, once again, even with one of these viruses I would not expect a cat to die without seeing severe illness first.

I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but the odds are high that this was an isolated event and the other cats should be ok.

They may still get an upper respiratory virus so keep an eye on them. If you are noticing green nasal or eye discharge or reluctance to eat then a vet visit is a good idea.

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (144262 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17018 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (10697 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14390 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9816 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (25604 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (15365 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (13522 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5066 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (13678 views)