Should dog be euthanized if he bites?

Breed: lab / hound mix
We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about his history, just that he he been found living on the streets. He seems to be about 2-3 years old. He has several scars and bot his ears are torn. The shelter did behavior testing on him to see how he would react if food was taken away from him and he "passed". We got him about 6 weeks ago and he seems "scared" sometimes and cowers when you go to pet him. He loves people, though and very much wants our attention. He has been to the vet, to a groomer and to doggy day care, and been around many types of people with no problems. But, last Saturday, he was asleep in the laundry room and my husband opened the door to let him out. He was leaning against the door so he had to push a little harder to get him to move and when my husband put his hand it to pet him, he bit him. It broke the skin and bled. We contacted a behaviorist / trainer and she has suggested using positive reinforcement. If a dog bites in this situation, does it need to be euthanized? She alarmed us a bit by saying that if he does it again he might not be able to stay in our home or any other home. He has snapped one other time when he was sleepy and resting. Otherwise we have not seen any aggressive behavior around food or in other circumstances. He approaches people in a friendly way and wags his tail. Still, the trainer said if he bit once he will likely do it again. She said to walk by him when he is resting or sleeping and throw treats at him so he learns to associate those situations with something positive. In your experience, can a dog that bites in this kind of situation be rehabilitated?
Thank you!

This is a really tough call. Can a dog who bites once ever be trusted again?

I have seen many cases where a dog had one biting incident and never had another. Hopefully this will be the case with your dog. One of my own dogs, years ago, bit me when I reached down to a plate of food he had. It was a one time incident and he lived a long life without ever biting again.

Given that your dog has only had one incident I would be very hesitant to put a label on him saying that he will always bite.

With that said, I would still be very cautious if he is around young children and monitor him all the time. A bite to a young child could be much more devastating to an adult.

One thing that I might advise is to have a veterinary behaviorist examine him. Many trainers are excellent, but I will always put more trust in a veterinarian who specializes in this area. A veterinary behaviorist has not only gone through all of their veterinary schooling but also several additional years focusing intently on behaviour problems in dogs.

If this were my dog and he was not showing any ongoing signs of aggression I would not be talking about euthanasia. I would watch him carefully when he is with children and remove him from the situation if he looks at all uncomfortable.

I hope that helps

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8655 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (25922 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11139 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (13374 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8378 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39799 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (9774 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (16470 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (13980 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66597 views)