Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14536 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4200 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14125 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (90534 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12334 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13254 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14324 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (53939 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (12457 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59533 views)