Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (42729 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12692 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (10694 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (48172 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (12806 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (14174 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (29119 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (10096 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27215 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (311916 views)