Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35762 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (41450 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11652 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18260 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (19178 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8410 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19616 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9605 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15830 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (18971 views)