Guinea pig not eating.

Breed: Guinea Pig

I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I changed the kind of food he had been eating from loose food to "perfect portion" food balls to try and prevent food waste. He wouldn't eat it so I broke the pieces up to see if he would try it then and have been offering him fruits and vegetables as well, but he is not interested in eating anything. The food change also coincided with a change in weather from warm to cold. I have also noticed he isn't pooping and isn't drinking as much water, and a few months ago I noticed some lumps on his stomach that never seemed to bother him. When I googled the lumps I found that they are common in guinea pigs and normally don't require veterinary care. I'm concerned because he hasn't been eating, pooping, or drinking...from what I can tell he has eaten very little or nothing in the last week. I read online that I can syringe feed him pumpkin and that might help, but I am hesitant to try without veterinary input and am also considering this might be the result of the weather change. What can I do for my piggy?

Thank you,
Jodi

Hi,

There are a number of things that can cause a guinea pig to stop eating. It certainly is possible that changing his diet caused him to go off of his food but there could be another cause.

It is possible that he stopped eating because he didn't like the food and now he has something called gastrointestinal stasis. GI stasis means that his intestines are not moving properly. Some guinea pigs can get this if they don't have enough roughage in their diet.

GI stasis is a serious condition. For this reason, I would highly recommend that you have your guinea pig see a vet. The treatment generally involves fluid therapy, pain medications and also nutrition therapy. The nutrition therapy usually involves syringe feeding a supplement such as Oxbow Critical Care as well as a vitamin C supplement.

There are other possible reasons for a guinea pig to not eat as well including dental problems, having a foreign object in his intestines and other conditions. But, given that this first started after the food change, I think that the food change is likely to blame.

Again, I would definitely recommend having a vet examine your guinea pig as soon as possible. There is no harm in trying to get him to eat some good foods such as guinea pig hay. In some cases, if you can get a pig to eat then they will get better on their own. There is no harm in trying the pumpkin, but if he won't eat it then he will definitely need veterinary care.

I wish I could offer you more! Hope he is feeling better soon!

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (13590 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9865 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9545 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44860 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19391 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11760 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19366 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (50897 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13033 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13254 views)