Brown spots on belly.

Breed: Pom mix
I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I have noticed dark brown colored spots on his belly and near his legs. Before then his stomach was completely pink. He is acting completely normal and isn't scratching or licking the area.
Any idea what this can be?

Here is some additional information.

-he isn't on any medication or using flea control
- I changed his food a month ago
-he now has access to a backyard and is outside a lot more

I have also emailed you a picture as well.

Thank you!

Thanks for sending me this great picture:

freckles on dog

These brown spots really do look like normal areas of pigmentation or in other words, large freckles. It's hard to say why they weren't noticed before. But, I think that it's extremely unlikely that they are anything to worry about.

I don't think it is connected to his food or environment in any way.

Now, if for some reason these spots become itchy or bothersome in any way then I'd have them checked, but this really looks like nothing to worry about.

Of course though, I can't give you a complete diagnosis over the internet. The next time he is in at the vet's I'd have them take a look but I will be very surprised if these are ever an issue!

Thank you for getting back to me. So it's not uncommon that these freckles can appear after 5 years of not having any?

I can't say that I can ever recall a dog having freckles suddenly appear at 5 years of age. But, really, I can't see these being anything else!

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16429 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (8081 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (35213 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7376 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (8249 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (18034 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13158 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10450 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7604 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (10937 views)