Brown spots on belly.

Breed: Pom mix
I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I have noticed dark brown colored spots on his belly and near his legs. Before then his stomach was completely pink. He is acting completely normal and isn't scratching or licking the area.
Any idea what this can be?

Here is some additional information.

-he isn't on any medication or using flea control
- I changed his food a month ago
-he now has access to a backyard and is outside a lot more

I have also emailed you a picture as well.

Thank you!

Thanks for sending me this great picture:

freckles on dog

These brown spots really do look like normal areas of pigmentation or in other words, large freckles. It's hard to say why they weren't noticed before. But, I think that it's extremely unlikely that they are anything to worry about.

I don't think it is connected to his food or environment in any way.

Now, if for some reason these spots become itchy or bothersome in any way then I'd have them checked, but this really looks like nothing to worry about.

Of course though, I can't give you a complete diagnosis over the internet. The next time he is in at the vet's I'd have them take a look but I will be very surprised if these are ever an issue!

Thank you for getting back to me. So it's not uncommon that these freckles can appear after 5 years of not having any?

I can't say that I can ever recall a dog having freckles suddenly appear at 5 years of age. But, really, I can't see these being anything else!

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (14996 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (5315 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (7586 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5733 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (6838 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (16522 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8203 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29606 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9505 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (6228 views)