Brown spots on belly.

Breed: Pom mix
I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I have noticed dark brown colored spots on his belly and near his legs. Before then his stomach was completely pink. He is acting completely normal and isn't scratching or licking the area.
Any idea what this can be?

Here is some additional information.

-he isn't on any medication or using flea control
- I changed his food a month ago
-he now has access to a backyard and is outside a lot more

I have also emailed you a picture as well.

Thank you!

Thanks for sending me this great picture:

freckles on dog

These brown spots really do look like normal areas of pigmentation or in other words, large freckles. It's hard to say why they weren't noticed before. But, I think that it's extremely unlikely that they are anything to worry about.

I don't think it is connected to his food or environment in any way.

Now, if for some reason these spots become itchy or bothersome in any way then I'd have them checked, but this really looks like nothing to worry about.

Of course though, I can't give you a complete diagnosis over the internet. The next time he is in at the vet's I'd have them take a look but I will be very surprised if these are ever an issue!

Thank you for getting back to me. So it's not uncommon that these freckles can appear after 5 years of not having any?

I can't say that I can ever recall a dog having freckles suddenly appear at 5 years of age. But, really, I can't see these being anything else!

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (32904 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13438 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9412 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13921 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20333 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10442 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69313 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14272 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14466 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (14685 views)