Hamster skin problems.

Breed: Syrian hamster
Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from where he been scratching and now everytime he hears a noise he squeals and lays on his back and starts jolting even does it when i go to refill his food bowl, some times he dont squeal as he has never done anything like that before in the whole time we had him, i dont like to see him like this, he still eating and drinking as normal, i have noticed his balance has decreased, your help would be much appreciated, Louise

Hi and thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause hair loss in hamsters.

Hamsters can get a mite called demodex. Or, the skin condition could be caused by an underlying disease such as cushing's or a type of skin cancer called lymphsarcoma. Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection.

In my experience, usually when hamsters start showing signs like Nando is, it is not a good sign. Hamsters are not good at fighting disease.

Is there any way you could get him to a vet who is experienced in seeing hamsters? If this is ringworm, or parasites we have a chance in treating him.

I wish I could give you an at home solution but unfortunately it does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8545 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6583 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (16356 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7724 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6290 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (6249 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12372 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17535 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20804 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10991 views)