Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8397 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (32627 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9843 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (154598 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (12368 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (44673 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (8064 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6635 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5589 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (27029 views)