Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad.

Species: Dog
Breed: Black Labrador
Age: More than 15 ye
My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this potentially cause any
harm to him?




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

These absorbent pads from the bottom of the meat trays are very attractive to dogs!

Most of the time these will pass through a dog's intestines and come out in their poop.

However, there is a possibility that the pad can cause an obstruction. The pads are meant to soak up moisture and so they can become very large in the stomach or intestines.

Signs of an obstruction include:

  • Vomiting

  • Straining to poop

  • Painful belly

  • Lethargy

  • No appetite



If your dog has any of these symptoms then a vet visit is a good idea.

If your dog has eaten this within the last hour you may want to consider asking your vet to induce vomiting.

The other concern I would have is for Salmonella. However, it is not common for dogs to get food poisoning from eating raw food.

I hope everything "comes out" ok!

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7787 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (10593 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (65768 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (6344 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (11056 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (15463 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (12419 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (14656 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (12643 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (27261 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.