Lump under dog's eye?

Breed: Great Dane
A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It didn't seem to bother her so I thought she was fine. Yesterday it got a little bigger and she was playing and it popped and some blood came out and I wiped it away but her energy and appetite didn't change or anything. Today I noticed that now it's growing along the bottom of her eye a little wider. I'm not sure if it's serious or not and wondering if you could help me. She's still very playful and eating the same and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. I'll email photos of what it looked like when I first noticed and what it looks like today. Please help!

Thank you,
Bettina

Thank you for sending me these great photos of the lump under your dog's eye:

lump beneath dog's eye

lump under dog's eye

This is a tough question to answer. If the lump was on the dog's eyelid then I would think it is something called a meibomian gland adenoma. But, we don't see these on the skin below the eye. In fact, there really isn't a specific condition that I can think of that looks like this.

My first thought is that this could be a mild abscess as the result of some type of small penetrating object like a splinter. If this is the case, it might be healed now that it has popped.

At this point, I would keep an eye on things. If it comes back again or has not completely cleared up in a week or so then I would have your vet take a look. I think that it is unlikely to be some sort of cancer, but if it's not clearing up your vet may want to do some tests. There's not a whole lot you can do for it in the meantime other than just watch it for now.

I hope things clear up soon!

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (46309 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (16102 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14437 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11344 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (10231 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (36514 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (10378 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (39733 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4588 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10308 views)