Swollen ankle on dog.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a swollen "ankle." I've noticed this before but it didn't seem to bother him. He would walk on it just fine. Now he's exercising (plays fetch) more often, up to twice a day. Today, I noticed he's limping. I've touched the "ankle" and he didn't give any indication of pain. Like I mentioned before, one "ankle" has always seemed larger than the other but he hasn't limped on it before. What might this be?

Hi Jorge. Thanks so much for your question!

It sounds like the joint you are describing is the hock joint. It's not terribly common to have swelling in this joint. There are a few possible reasons for it and often it can be hard to determine what the cause is.

In a young dog we worry about some kind of injury. It could be a sprain. If so, this usually resolves within a few weeks. However, it could be a severe ligament sprain which sometimes needs surgery.

Young labs can sometimes be prone to a condition called Osteochondrosis Dessicans (OCD) in which a chip of cartilage breaks off inside of the joint. This is more common in labs under 2, but still possible. OCD will occasionally get better on its own but often needs surgery.

It is also possible that there is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial or a fungal infection. These need prescription meds prescribed by the vet. Occasionally they need an injection into the joint in order to heal.

While we do sometimes see tumors affecting the joint these are not at all common in a dog this young.

If this were my case I would likely do some xrays to see if we can see evidence of a sprain or even a tiny fracture. If not, I would likely do a joint tap to look for infection.

While some sprains and strains can heal on their own, if this has been going on for a while a vet visit is a good idea. Until then, you can try applying an ice pack several times per day and limit his activity as much as possible.

I hope he does ok! If you have more concerns, just hit reply.

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4778 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (8112 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (22370 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8270 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5807 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (21790 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (166652 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8803 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19285 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (32257 views)