Pain in stomatitis after extractions.

Breed: feline
9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth pulled as a last resort. She received a depomedrol shot every three weeks for pain. Have had her on Atopica for 5 weeks in addition to the depo. She needs a shot today because the Atopica is doing nothing, and the depo has worn off.

When she's on the depo, she eats like there's no tomorrow...great appetite. But when the 3 weeks are up, her mouth is so sore that she won't let me put anything in it, like any kind of drops or any kind of pain meds. She HURTS.

We also tried a laser treatment on her gums, but it did not help.

Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to put her down. We love her very much and seeing her in pain is heartbreaking. I am taking her in to my vet tomorrow, but just thought you might have some suggestions that might help.

Thank you.

Stomatitis can be extremely difficult. Not all stomatitis cats are FIV positive. I have seen quite a few that were healthy other than their stomatitis.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. In the vast majority of cases, full mouth extractions solve the problem and there is no pain after this. But I have heard of some cases where pain persists.

The first thing I would suggest, if this were my case would be to have dental radiographs done to see if perhaps there are any tooth roots under the gums. This can sometimes happen after extractions and could be contributing to pain.

Otherwise, treatment can be difficult. You can ask your vet if perhaps adding buprenorphine could help with the pain. Gabapentin is another drug that can sometimes help for chronic pain. You can ask your vet if those options would be likely to work for your girl.

I hope things improve soon. You are doing all of the right things.

Thanks for that suggestion of the x-rays for tooth roots. I will suggest that to my vet.

With her, she is doing great one day, then the next day she is in so much pain she can't eat. I have no advance warning. So I get her to the vet as quickly as possible for the depo, but it takes it a good 2 days before she can eat again. The depo has been lasting approximately 21 days between shots.

I have Buprenex on hand for her, but unfortunately once the pain starts, she refuses to allow me to give it to her because she hurts. Holding her by the nap of the neck and forcing it in her mouth only makes her hurt more.

After my visit yesterday, my vet says we are going to suspend the use of the Atopica because it's not helping. We got another depo shot, and we added prednisone once daily to see if we can get her past the 21 day mark for the depo. I understand the risks involved there concerning the possibility of diabetes developing, but at this point I am up against a wall.

This sounds like a very difficult case. The only other thing I could suggest is to ask your vet whether a referral to a veterinary dentist could possibly help.

I really wish I could offer more.

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (5547 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (39451 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (8702 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (16157 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (14206 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (9846 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (18585 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (21625 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (6295 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6623 views)