ibuprofen for arthritis?

Breed: german shepard- husk
my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest, she starts to limp. sometimes goes on for hours, sometimes goes away and I think that she is ok but later the limping returns.
can I safely give her ibprophen for the swelling and pain?
If not what can I do? or if ok what else can I do to help her?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Unfortunatley ibuprofen is very hard on a dog's kidneys and so it is not recommend it.

By far the best medicines for arthritis pain are the prescription ones like Metacam, Rimadyl or Previcox. They are generally safe and work well but you need to get them from your vet.

For some cases I will recommend aspirin for short term use. Your dog may be able to have 1 to 2 aspirin once a day, but I don't recommend it for long term use as aspirin can lead to stomach ulceration and other issues.

I'd highly advise you to have your vet take a look at your girl and advise the best medicine.

I am just heading offline now, but if you have more concerns let me know and I will respond when I am next online.

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (34312 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (66230 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (36174 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (8524 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (179834 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10934 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (16184 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (5976 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (12808 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (21295 views)