Brewer's Yeast for fleas.

Breed: pug
Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks, especially a dog with diet controlled allergies?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

It's a bit of an old wive's tale that Brewers yeast or garlic works to kill fleas.

Garlic can actually be toxic to dogs. It's possible that feeding a dog garlic may make it a little less tasty to fleas but it's not going to kill fleas.

I just did some searching for you as I never want to discount something just because I think that it's not true. I actually found a scientific study that was done to determine if brewer's yeast works for fleas. You can read the abstract here:

Does Brewer's Yeast Kill Fleas?

As you can read in the article the dogs treated with Brewer's yeast had no reduction in flea numbers at all.

I wish there were an easy and inexpensive remedy to fleas. If there was something that worked perfectly then we'd all be recommending it! One of the problems that I am seeing now is that fleas are getting resistant to many treatments. I blame this on over the counter pet store flea products. These products will usually only kill a percentage of the fleas. The fleas that remain then go on to reproduce and create a population of fleas that can resist cheap flea products.

The only products that I believe in are prescription strength products. These include:

• Advantage <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Revolution

• Frontline <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Comfortis

• ---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (17461 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (38960 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (19269 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (115087 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17389 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (14531 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (57380 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (18907 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (11554 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15622 views)