Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens.

Breed: Stray Cat
Hello Marie, thanks in advance.
(Sorry for the English we are from Finland) We'found a very young mother cat with 5 kittens, the kittens are 6 week old, they got fleas so we put them flea powder for cats. Now they all have vomits and diarrea for 2 days. What can we do to stop it...is there a medicine in the US that we can buy? And what kind of food would be the most indicated in this case of vomit and diarrea?
Thanks in advance.

Maria

Sorry to hear that your new kittens have diarrhea. My guess is that this is not related to the flea powder but instead, that there is something else going on.

If all of the kittens have vomiting and diarrhea then I am concerned that they may have either a virus or a parasite.

If they are bright, happy and eating well then you could try an over the counter dewormer. You can buy deworming medication at any pet store.

However, if they are vomiting then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on. Kittens do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Because of this I would highly advise that you have a vet take a look at them. They may require some fluids given intravenously or by injection under the skin. This is not something that you can do at home.

The vet can prescribe medication that should help with the diarrhea. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication (other than the dewormer) that can be given to cats for diarrhea.

I wish I had better advice for you. I really am concerned that all of these kittens are sick. There is a high possibility that they could have a serious virus such as panleukopenia that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. Panleukopenia can sometimes be treated with aggressive fluid therapy in the veterinary hospital but it can be fatal as well.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you Marie. The vomits had stoped, and they seem a little bit better, but still with diarrhea. We are taking them to the vet, to see if could be something serious, as they are street kittens they maybe could got something in the street.

Thanks for your time!
Maria

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (11228 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (6723 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (17780 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (40873 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (9403 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (12268 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (7379 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (18996 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (39950 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (20718 views)