Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens.

Breed: Stray Cat
Hello Marie, thanks in advance.
(Sorry for the English we are from Finland) We'found a very young mother cat with 5 kittens, the kittens are 6 week old, they got fleas so we put them flea powder for cats. Now they all have vomits and diarrea for 2 days. What can we do to stop it...is there a medicine in the US that we can buy? And what kind of food would be the most indicated in this case of vomit and diarrea?
Thanks in advance.

Maria

Sorry to hear that your new kittens have diarrhea. My guess is that this is not related to the flea powder but instead, that there is something else going on.

If all of the kittens have vomiting and diarrhea then I am concerned that they may have either a virus or a parasite.

If they are bright, happy and eating well then you could try an over the counter dewormer. You can buy deworming medication at any pet store.

However, if they are vomiting then I am concerned that there is something more serious going on. Kittens do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration. Because of this I would highly advise that you have a vet take a look at them. They may require some fluids given intravenously or by injection under the skin. This is not something that you can do at home.

The vet can prescribe medication that should help with the diarrhea. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication (other than the dewormer) that can be given to cats for diarrhea.

I wish I had better advice for you. I really am concerned that all of these kittens are sick. There is a high possibility that they could have a serious virus such as panleukopenia that causes severe vomiting and diarrhea. Panleukopenia can sometimes be treated with aggressive fluid therapy in the veterinary hospital but it can be fatal as well.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you Marie. The vomits had stoped, and they seem a little bit better, but still with diarrhea. We are taking them to the vet, to see if could be something serious, as they are street kittens they maybe could got something in the street.

Thanks for your time!
Maria

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (111161 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15352 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13042 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (29168 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8411 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (10805 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68317 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (21317 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16635 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5673 views)