Vomiting kittens.

Breed: domestic short hair
I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had some dietary changes with them and I thought this to be the cause but am worrying it may be a larger issue. They've had some bouts of vomiting, their stools are runny, decreased appetites, weight loss. They are still playful, but sometimes less so and I can tell their tummies may be bothering them. They still drink water. I've seen them eating some grass. I've recently added some digestive enzymes to their food. But they aren't eating much. They seem to have a normal day, then a not so normal day. Been going on for about a week. I know they were dewormed with their first vet visit. Should I be taking them in for blood tests? Is this something minor to just watch?

This is a tough question to answer. If your kittens both have vomiting and diarrhea, and you have recently changed their food then the food change may be the culprit. But, it's a little bit unusual for these symptoms to be going on for a week.

Another thought to consider is the possibility of some type of parasite. If this were my case, the first thing that I would be doing is a fecal exam to see if there are any parasites present. Some parasites can be treated with over the counter dewormers, but there are others such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medicines.

A virus is possible, but less likely given that they are vaccinated.

Another possibility is some type of toxin or gastric irritant. Do you have any new plants in the house? Is it possible that they have been nibbling on them? Some plants like poinsettias are not poisonous but can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Others, like some lilies can be quite toxic.

I am always concerned when I see a cat who doesn't want to eat. If it's only a day I wouldn't be worried. But,if this has been going on for a week then these cats really should be seeing a vet.

I hope things look up soon.

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (10893 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (11901 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11486 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9618 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (7312 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (7814 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4416 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (27695 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (12516 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9230 views)